top of page


Luke Brown's first half deflected strike is the difference as Needham Market record a crucial 1-0 win away at Tamworth. 

With Ross Crane, Kyle Hammond and Jamie McGrath out injured, while Noah Collard was unavailable due to work commitments, Daniel Morphew returned to the starting eleven, while Tom Fitzgerald also started.

The win makes it 5 wins out of 7 for the Marketmen against the league leaders, with this the third win against their opponents away from home backing up the Suffolk side's 3-2 win over the Lambs at Bloomfields in November. 

In truth, the game was void of many clear cut chances, as the Marketmen defended resolutely and battled hard to secure a second win in a week, after Tuesday's 1-0 win at home to Redditch United, sparking a 3 match unbeaten run as Kevin Horlock's side move up to 15th in the league table. 

The home side however had the majority of the possession, with Needham breaking on the counter. Good defending denied the home side on 24 minutes, Dan Morphew tracked back well to deflect a shot down the right-hand side behind for a corner. 

At the other end, great play from Needham saw the away side create a half chance five minutes later, Dylan Williams kept the ball well out on the right wing who then backheeled the ball well to Jake Dye in space whose low ball into the box found Fitzgerald, although theatter was dispossessed. 

The only real clear cut chance in the first half fell to the Marketmen in the 41st minute. Daniel Morphew's long ball over the top released Jacob Lay through down the left-hand side in the box, the winger held the ball up well before finding Luke Brown just inside the box who smashed his shot home, via a deflection, into the bottom far corner, 1-0 Needham.

The second half saw Tamworth pile the pressure on the Needham goal, though the visitors dealt with it well, restricting them to very few clear cut chances.

With the rain pouring down heavily for vast spells of the second half, the home side headed just over from six yards out at the near post following a right wing corner after 47 minutes. 

Jellis meanwhile was threaded through one on one with Garnham down the left-hand side of the box in the 56th minute, but shot over the crossbar. 

A brilliant stop from the Needham shot-stopper twarted the home side a minute later, Eoin McKeown broke through onto the right-hand side of the box whose Leo shot towards the bottom far corner was brilliantly tipped just wide by Garnham. 

Garnham was then on hand to unter rot a great through-ball on 58 minutes, while Luke Ingram shot straight at the goalkeeper at the other end a minute later. 

Christian Frimpong then showed great strength to battle through midfield with possession, from his own half, only to see his shot from 25-yards out deflected away from goal after 67 minutes. 

The Marketmen had another decent chance on 71 minutes, Luke Ingram picked up possession just inside the penalty area, down the right-hand side, whose low effort was deflected behind off Dolman for a Needham corner. 

Into the final moments, Tamworth piled the pressure on the visitors' goal, but found the away defence tough to break down, with substitute George Carter's 83rd minute strike on the left-hand edge of the box being deflected just wide of the bottom near corner for a Tamworth corner. 

Dogged defending from the away side though in a very tense spell of five added minutes saw the Marketmen over the line, as Cockerill-Mollett's shot from just inside the box was deflected crucially just over the crossbar for a corner. 

A golden chance however went begging for Tamworth in the 3rd minute of stoppage time, a right wing cross was nodded dangerously back across the face of goal by a far post free header, albeit the close range header was glanced just wide of the right-hand post. 

Needham held on to record a crucial 3 points and clean sheet, ahead of a Suffolk Premier Cup Quarter-Final at home to Thurlow Nunn Premier Division side Long Melford on Tuesday (7:45pm)


bottom of page