top of page


Needham Market maintain their unbeaten run despite a pretty much last second equaliser from Kettering denying Horlock's side a win on the road.

Luke Ingram and Dylan Williams started for the Marketmen, who started the game on top and arguably had more of the possession, although neither team really created much in terms of dangerous shots on goal.

The Marketmen, wearing their yellow away strip had the first chance on 6 minutes, Tevan Allen was released through one on one with the keeper, Blunkell, on the right-hand side of the box whose shot was smothered well by the stopper well off his line.

Horlock's side had the better of the opening twenty minutes, although Needham goalkeeper Marcus Garnham pulled off some great saves to thwart a Kettering opening goal, with the Marketmen forcing a good catch out off Blunkell a minute later as a right wing cross was dipping into the top far corner until the 'keeper made the catch.

Needham then had a goal ruled out for an offside against Daniel Morphew in the 15th minute as a right wing edge free-kick floated and dipped audaciously into the bottom far corner, but for the linesman's flag suggesting Dan Morphew was in interfering in an offside position.

At the other end, Kettering had a good chance to take the lead, on the counter, on 18 minutes, a great run through onto the left-hand byline saw a seemingly goalbound cross chested off the line with the 10-yard rebound strike blazed over.

A well placed goal-line clearance from Reece Harris meanwhile denied Kettering the lead on 27 minutes, a right wing corner saw a far post towering header towards the bottom right hand corner smacked clear off the line by the Needham midfielder.

Needham Man Of The Match Marcus Garnham then made a superb stop to deny Kettering on 35 minutes, Kettering 9 drove through one on one with the onrushing goalkeeper who reacted smartly to dive down quickly to his left-hand side and beat the shot behind off the striker for a goal-kick.

Kettering though had the last chance of the half on 43 minutes, a right wing corner picked out a towering free header at goal which Garnham was again equal too, diving down quickly just to his right hand side to hold onto the ball.

After the restart, the Marketmen again looked to dominate the possession, albeit it was Kettering who had the first chance of the half on 48 minutes.

Kettering 3 found space on the left-hand edge of the box, whose deflected shot was looping into the top near corner until Marcus Garnham' instinctive reactions saw the stopper fly across to tip the shot just over the crossbar.

Tevan Allen then saw a 30-yard fierce strike go narrowly over the top near, right-hand, corner on 51 minutes, while Needham went agonisingly close to breaking the deadlock 11 minutes later.

A exquisite left wing Kyle Hammond corner picked out Reece Harris unmarked at the far post whose cross back in was headed just past the bottom left-hand corner by Tevan Allen.

Marcus Garnham was then on hand to smother a 81st minute shot off the line, that had hit the inside of the post, although Needham broke the deadlock with a well worked goal on 83 minutes.

A great through-ball from Luke Ingram threaded Jacob Lay into acres of space down the left-hand side of the box who cooly placed home into the gaping bottom far corner to make it 1-0 to Needham.

However, Kettering snatched a share of the spoils with virtually the last kick of the game in the sixth minute of stoppage time. After a free-kick went out for a corner, the right wing set-piece found Ben Toseland rise highest to head home into the top near corner, 1-1.

A hard earned point nonetheless for the Marketmen, who are back on the road on Saturday away to Hashtag United, who play at Bowers & Pitsea's Len Salmon Stadium, in the Emirates FA Cup second qualifying round (3pm, coach departs Bloomfields at 11:30am with pickups at Copdock and Colchester). The Marketmen then travel to AFc Telford United in the league the following Saturday.


bottom of page