top of page


Needham Market move up to second in the league after going eight games unbeaten in all competitions, which include 6 clean sheets - five in the league, courtesy of a 75th minute Dan Morphew penalty to beat Stourbridge 1-0.

The Marketmen, who were without Luke Ingram, suffered an early blow when Jamie McGrath was forced off due to injury after just 6 minutes as Seth Chambers replaced the forward.

Although Stourbridge arguably had the better of the first half, the Marketmen likewise had the better in the second half with the introduction of Dylan Williams off the bench seeing Needham capitalise to take maximum points.

Needham though had the first chance after eight minutes, Kyle Hammond's quick 40-yard free-kick looked to catch Price off his line, albeit the 'keeper flew quickly to his top right-hand corner to hold onto the midfielder's effort.

At the other end, Luke Benbow tested Marcus Garnham with a smart low free-kick on 16 minutes, the keeper though was equal to the visiting striker's curling 35-yard set-piece to quickly launch down to his bottom left-hand, near, corner and beat it behind. 

A great ball over the top from Needham's Reece Harris meanwhile saw the midfielder thread Man Of The Match, chosen by match sponsors Peter & Sarah Forster, Jake Dye through down the right wing whose audacious cross was just too high for Chambers in the centre on 21 minutes.

Stourbridge then saw a close range shot, on the right-hand side, tipped brilliantly just wide by the flying Garnham five minutes later, while Benbow's 40-yard right-hand free-kick was smashed comfortably wide of the bottom far corner on 34 minutes. 

At the other end, a great save and defensive block denied Seth Chambers the opening goal on 35 minutes, after being set through into space on the right-hand side of the box the striker's 10-yard low shot was well smothered by Price, while his rebound tight angled effort at an open goal was well smothered by a defender. 

Chambers was again thwarted by Price ten minutes later, Dye was again fed into space smartly down the right wing whose pinpoint cross found the forward in acres of space from close range whose looping header was tipped back into play off the inside of the top far post by Price, while Jacob Lay's rebound sidefooted volley went just wide of the top left-hand corner from 8-yards out. 

The last chance of the opening half also fell to Needham six minutes into added time, albeit Reece Harris shot agonisingly just wide of the bottom right-hand corner from the edge of the box. 

After the restart, it was Needham who had the better of the chances in the scorching Suffolk sun, with Kyle Hammond's audacious 48th minute right wing corner going just wide of the far post off Morphew from close range. 

At the other end a minute later, a Stourbridge left wing-edge free-kick was curled fiercely towards the bottom near corner, but Garnham was again across quickly to hold onto the effort comfortably. 

Substitute Dylan Williams was then teed up just inside the box before seeing his powerful strike blocked by the head of Aaron Forde, while Dan Morphew's rebound volley went wide of the bottom left-hand corner on 70 minutes.

Two minutes later though, Needham were awarded a penalty after Callum Page had driven through smartly round the back onto the righ-hand byline before being pushed down from behind by Wilson. 

Up-stepped Dan Morphew, who, twice including a retake, smashed home ferociously into the top left-hand corner, 1-0 Needham.

Needham then went on the hunt for a second goal to put the result to bed, as Chambers' brilliant low cutback saw Harris smash a shot just agonisingly wide of the bottom right-hand corner after 79 minutes. 

Needham went close to a second goal on 84 minutes, a smart through-ball threaded Tommy Smith into space down the left wing whose low squared ball saw Chambers poke just wide of the near post from a tight angle.

Needham travel to Kettering on Tuesday (7:45pm).


bottom of page