top of page


Needham Market's unbeaten home league record ended with a 3-0 defeat to Stamford.

With the league title already wrapped up, Kevin Horlock's side made 4 changes to Saturday's historic win, Hugh Cullum, Byron Lawrence, Ollie Fraser and Adam Mills starting in place of Tommy Smith, Dylan Williams, Jacob Lay and Seth Chambers.

Stamford had the first chance in the second minute, with Needham goalkeeper Marcus Garnham on hand to fly up to his top, near, right-hand corner to tip Rob Morgan's shot from the edge of the box behind.

At the other end, Ollie Fraser was fed free on the left wing, albeit his audacious cross was curled just over the top far corner ten minutes later.

While Stamford saw a shot deflected behind the left hand post for a corner on 17 minutes, while Stamford broke the deadlock from the resulting corner through Lee Shaw.

Garnham meanwhile was on hand to hold a low shot across goal, smartly down to his left-hand side on 19 minutes, before the away side curled a free kick just wide of the top far corner from the right wing in the 20th minute.

Stamford then had a shot just wide of the top near, right-hand, corner a minute later, while Needham went agonisingly close to an equaliser on 26 minutes.

Tevan Allen's exquisite right wing cross round Jamie McGrath towering highest from six yards out whose great header was beaten away by the diving keeper, just evading the striker on the rebound as Lawrence fired agonisingly just wide of the bottom right-hand corner from close range.

Allen's left wing corner, five minutes later, then saw Ingram's looping shot on target well held by the goalkeeper at head height, while the former then saw a good shot blocked from inside the box on 45 minutes.

With next Tuesday's Premier Cup Final in mind, the Marketmen withdrew Keiran Morphew and Luke Ingram for Dylan Williams and Seth Chambers at the break, which saw Williams see a shot blocked just outside the box on 49 minutes.

Garnham meanwhile watched a good low shot, from the edge of the box, all the way to hold onto it at his bottom left-hand corner on 53 minutes, while Stamford doubled their lead eight minutes later.

Hilton drove down the right wing before cleverly finding the top far corner.

Lee Shaw meanwhile shot wide of the bottom right-hand, vacant, corner on 64 minutes.

Needham then introduced Reece Harris in place of Kyle Hammond a minute later, while Seth Chambers' header was palmed behind from an awkward angle for a Needham corner.

Two saves in quick succession by the visiting goalkeeper denied the Marketmen from getting a goal back on 74 minutes, Adam Mills' low left wing cross, into the six yard box, was smothered away well by the diving goalkeeper at his near post, who then somehow thwarted Jamie McGrath on the follow up.

Mills then saw a fierce shot inside the box blocked, while Garnham got down smartly at his near post to palm away a near post shot inside the box with 10 minutes to go.

Shaw rounded off the scoring a minute later, latching onto the keeper's long ball onto the left-hand side of the box to dink it into the net.

Dan Morphew saw a shot from a corner blocked off the line on 83 minutes, while Chambers' marauding run onto the left-hand byline saw him pick out McGrath but his header was smacked off the line.

Needham switch focus to the Suffolk Premier Cup Final on Tuesday (16th April, 7:45pm), against Felixstowe & Walton United at Bury Town FC. Supporters are advised to purchase tickets online prior to the night cheaper, from Suffolk FA's website, with tickets available on the night.


bottom of page