top of page


Needham Market earn a snatch and grab three points with two important late goals to defeat struggling Berkhamsted away. 

Kevin Horlock's side made one change from the 2-0 victory against Telford as Ipswich Town loanee marked his loan extention with a start, Jacob Lay dropping to the bench.

The hosting Comrades started the better side though, with Needham goalkeeper Marcus Garnham down smartly to his bottom left hand corner to palm Ross Oulton's 6th minute volley behind.

The midfielder though gave his side the lead from the resulting corner a minute later, the ball fell to Oulton on the right hand edge of the box to smartly wrap a first time volley into the top far corner. 

Needham began to grow into the game however as the dangerous Adam Mills was fed into space on the left wing to cross brilliantly and pinpoint for Tevan Allen from 8 yards out to head just over on 14 minutes.

Four minutes later, the Marketmen were level courtesy of another exquisite pinpoint Mills cross. 

Tommy Smith started the move by superbly intercepting possession before exploiting space to drive forward and threading Mills down the left wing to pick out MOTM Nico Valentine, free at the far post, who nodded home superbly into the bottom left hand corner. 

Needham then had a great chance to go in front on 24 minutes, Seth Chambers held up possession well on the left hand side of the box before feeding Mills who beat two defenders smartly and dinking an audacious cross to the far post, finding Jake Dye who just couldn't head the ball on target. 

At the other end three minutes later, Bustamante saw a deflected shot comfortably held by Garnham down at his bottom left hand corner. 

A terrific save from Marcus Garnham thwarted the hosts from another spectacular goal on 36 minutes, Matthews' left wing free kick was dipping in underneath the crossbar until Garnham flew up instinctively to tip the effort over. 

Diggers then headed over from the resulting corner a minute later, while Berkhamsted keeper Head raced off his line to deny the Marketmen on 37 minutes. 

The home side then saw a Matt Bateman header ruled out for a foul on Marcus Garnham two minutes later, while Head raced off his line smartly to gather a dangerous long ball ahead of the onrushing Nico Valentine. 

After the restart, Needham had the first chance on 49 minutes, Tevan Allen won possession well before switching it over to Adam Mills, free on the left wing, whose first time cross-shot cushioned volley was hit towards goal but comfortable for the keeper. 

Needham then had another good chance on 53 minutes, a low through ball looked to thread Chambers through one on one but the keeper was out first to gather. 

Berkhamsted though retook the lead after being awarded a penalty on 56 minutes. Up stepped Bateman to send Garnham the wrong way and dispatch cooly into the bottom left hand corner. 

Needham quickly looked to respond as Tevan Allen's right wing corner was tipped away as far as Kyle Hammond, whose effort was blocked on 58 minutes. 

The promotion chasing visitors started to create the better chances, and did have the ball in the net four minutes later. Clever play saw Tommy Smith take a left wing throw in quickly to Adam Mills, but was adjudged to have been offside when receiving the return ball, and cutting back for Jake Dye to tap home. 

Valentine meanwhile drove through onto the edge of the box but fired over on 64 minutes, before Needham opted for a double substitution as Jamie McGrath and Seth Chambers were replaced by goalscorer Luke Ingram and Jacob Lay moments later. 

With the game entering the final ten minutes Valentine was then withdrawn in favour of Dylan Williams, soon to be followed by two clinical goals in as many minutes from the visitors. 

First a Tevan Allen super substitute Ingram, leaping highest at the far post, to loop home his header into the top far corner on 82 minutes. 

In-form defender Dan Morphew then notched his third goal in his last four games to turn the game on its head, recording a big three points for the second placed side. 

A corner fell short to Smith, free on the left hand edge of the box, to whip a delightful ball to the far post for the centre-back to rise and nod into the bottom right hand corner! 

Sandiford looked to spoil the away side's mood in the first minute of stoppage time, as the winger's 40-yard shot was creeping into the top right hand near corner as Garnham made sure to palm it behind. 

Match winner Dan Morphew was then perfectly placed to block a low shot on goal on 90+6 minutes as Needham saw out the final moments to record three points. 


bottom of page