top of page


The Marketmen, who had the majority of the possession, did record a fifth consecutive clean sheet and had the luxury of having a full squad available, apart from Taylor Clark who was away in trial with Wycombe Wanderers.

Marcus Garnham continued in goal, with Keiran Morphew partnering Daniel Morphew at centre back, Tommy Smith at left-back and Jake Dye at right-back. Dylan Williams, Reece Harris and Kyle Hammond made up the midfield, while Callum Page and Luke Ingram started on the wing, with Jamie McGrath leading the line.

Tevan Allen, Seth Chambers, Ollie Fraser, James Letts, Jacob Lay and Flynn Crosthwaite all made up the substitutes bench.

The higher league Reds forced an early save after 3 minutes, great football out from the back saw Luke Ingram exploit space on the right-hand side whose low ball around the defence finds Page at the far post, the latter's close range angled low effort though was beaten behind by James Askew at his new post.

Morphew however headed the resulting corner just wide of the far right-hand post from six yards out, while Reece Harris curled exquisite free-kick from the right-hand edge of the box just wide into the near side netting on 13 minutes.

Five minutes later, Kyle Hammond threaded a great ball over the top to Dylan Williams, the midfielder droves through one on one on the left-hand side but his tight angled close range shot was smothered well by the diving Askew at his near post.

More neat, quick, passing play saw the home side create another good chance in the 20th minute, Callum Page was fed into space on the edge of the box, only to fire his strike narrowly over the top right-hand corner.

Seven minutes later, another good stop from Askew thwarted a Needham goal, great play saw Callum Page break through onto the left-hand side of the box before teeing up Harris in the centre whose low first time low shot towards the far post was beaten away by the 'keeper.

Jake Dye then intercepted possession just inside his own half before breaking into space through Stow's half onto the right-hand edge of the box but fired his shot narrowly over after 29 minutes.

Stow meanwhile had a rare opportunity on 35 minutes, Dylan Kirk broke through down the left wing before blazing his shot wide, while Needham went back up the other end and again went agonisingly close to taking the lead two minutes later.

Jamie McGrath was fed with his back to goal, the striker then found Kyle Hammond who teed up Page. The forward weaved into space inside the box before firing a centimetre wide of the bottom far left-hand corner.

Luke Ingram meanwhile found space to shoot from 30-yards, but fired his strike straight at Askew on 39 minutes.

Needham then went close again on 43 minutes, a great left wing cross from Kyle Hammond almost picked out Ingram close to the far post, but Askew was alert to parry it away.

On the stroke of half-time, some more neat one touch football from the Marketmen saw Dylan Williams receive the ball back on the left-hand edge of the box only to hammer his shot over, as both teams went into the break deadlocked.

Kevin Horlock made one half-time change, as the second half got underway, with Tevan Allen replacing Dan Morphew - moving Kyle Hammond to centre back.

The Marketmen continued to control the possession, with Reece Harris feeding Dylan Williams into space onto the edge of the box, the midfielder then took the ball past an onrushing defender before firing over the crossbar on 47 minutes.

Luke Ingram then wrapped a right wing cross-shot into the box, which was deflected just wide into the near side-netting, two minutes later, before the crossbar denied the home side in the 50th minute, as Harris' clever right wing corner was headed back into play off the crossbar at the far post off Stow defender Simmons.

Ingram then broke into space onto the left-hand edge of the box, but saw his low shot lasered straight at Askew, down well at his near post to hold onto the effort, after 51 minutes.

Five minutes later, Harris then whipped a ferocious free-kick, from the left-hand edge of the box, just wide of the top near corner, into the side-netting.

The post then denied Horlock's side on 58 minutes, a brilliant defence splitting pass threaded Ingram through one on one, onto the right-hand side of the box, but the forward's his fierce low driven shot cannoned just wide off the outside of the post.

Horlock then made changes to manage players' minutes, with Jamie McGrath, Callum Page and Dylan Williams all making way for Jacob Lay, Seth Chambers and Ollie Fraser - with the latter moving out onto the wing, Chambers replacing McGrath up front and Lay moving into an attacking midfield position.

Needham continued to knock on the door to break the deadlock, as Ingram teed up Ollie Fraser inside the box whose shot from around the penalty spot went agonisingly just of the top left-hand corner on 70 minutes.

Two minutes later, Marcus Garnham was called into action to gather a left wing low cutback, while the away side fired over from distance moments later.

Horlock then made two further changes, Reece Harris and Luke Ingram both made way for Flynn Crosthwaite and James Letts, with the scoreline still 0-0 at the 75th minute.

Needham again had a decent opportunity soon after, as Tevan Allen's far post header back across goal, following a corner, picked out Ollie Fraser in space whose standing overhead kicked effort was gathered by the diving Askew at his bottom near, right-hand corner, on 79 minutes.

Seth Chambers then rasped a fierce shot, from the left-hand side of the box, just over the top far corner, two minutes later, while Keiran Morphew was rested as Luke Ingram returned to the action.

Needham still created 3 other great opportunities, first Lay weaved smartly onto the left wing byline before cutting it back to a teammate whose shot was blocked on 86 minutes, prior to Hammond rasping a ferocious strike from distance just over a minute later.

Tevan Allen then had the final chance of the evening in the 93rd minute, the defender/midfielder exploited space to drive all the way up the pitch who fired a good strike over the bar.

Needham conclude their pre-season schedule at home to Cambridge City on Saturday (1pm).


bottom of page