top of page

Marketmen Take The Bragging Rights After A Suffolk Derby Win In the FA Cup

Needham Market advance to the 2nd Qualifying Round of the Emirates FA Cup following a deserved 3-1 win over Suffolk and League rivals Leiston at Bloomfields.

Manager Kevin Horlock made 3 changes from Monday's league defeat at Hitchin Town, with forward Ryan Viggars on-loan from Charlton Athletic unavailable, captain Keiran Morphew injured and Jamie McGrath starting on the bench replaced by Noah Collard, Hugh Cullum and Seth Chambers in the starting eleven. Vice captain Dan Morphew took on the captain's responsibilities for his 201st Needham appearance.

The first half was more of an even affair, though Needham had the more chances, with the Marketmen earning two corners within four minutes, albeit not fruiting any noteable chance. 

Leiston on the other hand had the first chance of note for the afternoon in the 7th minute, a great ball threaded Joe Marsden free in space at the far, right-hand post, but the ex-Marketmen blazed his shot over from close range.  

After Zach Dronfield was stretchered off following a clash of heads, the away side took the lead after 24 minutes as Will Davies smashed a low free-kick, from the right-hand edge of the box, into the bottom far corner despite a hand from goalkeeper Garnham, 0-1. 

The Marketmen though then dominated proceedings, with Ross Crane having three great chances in the space of 3 minutes, the first saw the winger curl a 30-yard free-kick over the crossbar on 28 minutes, while his second attempt was deflected behind the near, left-hand, post by Jake Hutchings for a corner, with the final of the three smashed narrowly wide of the top far corner. 

In contrast to their previous two matches, the Marketmen's dominance was rewarded in the end, although a great chance just didn't quite go the way of the Reds on 33 minutes. Jacob Lay kept possession smartly down the right wing before picking out Christian Frimpong. The latter's cross picked out Jake Dye inside the box, but the defender's touch rebounded wide of the near post. 

Leiston meanwhile saw a diving free header go wide of the far post from a corner, four minutes prior to Needham levelling proceedings with a fantastic goal from ex-Leiston midfielder Patrick Brothers.

Seth Chambers fed the former in space outside the box, who beat his man well before slamming a brilliant left footed finish home into the bottom right hand corner for his 3rd goal of the season, making it 1-1 after 41 minutes. 

With ten minutes of stoppage time played as a result of the earlier clash of heads, Needham had a few good chances to take the lead. First, two minutes into added time, Kyle Hammond's cross found Jake Dye, whose shot on this occasion was well blocked by the chest of ex-Marketman Joe Marsden, while Jacob Lay just couldn't latch onto Ross Crane's great cross two minutes later. 

Then in the seventh minute of added time, a great long ball from Kyle Hammond released Seth Chambers through one-on-one with goalkeeper Harrison Podd, but the forward just couldn't latch onto it as the goalkeeper gathered the loose ball. 

And right at the end of stoppage time a good stop from Podd denied, match sponsors' The Windscreen Company's Man Of The Match, Patrick Brothers' low shot well, on the left-hand byline, ensuring that the scores were level at the break. 

Although it was Leiston who had two great chances early in the second half, the Marketmen again dominated proceedings, despite George Quantrell firing wide of the far post from the left-hand edge of the box just six minutes after the restart.

Will Davies then had a good chance three minutes later, but with his back to goal the forward's shot over his head went just wide of the bottom far corner. 

Soon after that, Needham took full advantage, with Jacob Lay netting his first Needham goal since signing for the club in the summer - a great leap and header from Ross Crane picked out Seth Chambers inside the box, who beat his defender to in turn find Noah Collard, the latter whom unselfishly teed up Lay in acres of space, who cooly finished underneath Podd into the middle of the net, 2-1 Needham. 

It was almost 3-1 to the Marketmen just after the hour mark, as Kyle Hammond's left wing free-kick almost caught Podd out, who did well to vitally punch it away on his goal-line. 

At the other end, a crucial block from Jake Dye thwarted former teammate Joe Marsden from bringing Leiston back on level terms after 68 minutes, fellow ex-Marketman Adam Mills whipped a great low ball across to the former, whose first time shot at the back post was well blocked by Dye. 

Nine minutes later, a great block on the goal-line denied Jake Hutchings' otherwise goal-bound header from a corner, while Needham wrapped up their spot in Monday's 2nd Qualifying Round draw in the 86th minute. 

Goalscorer Lay audaciously threaded substitute Evan Collard through with a great defence splitting pass, the midfielder then whipped a great cross in on a plate for Ross Crane, at the far post, to tap home into the gaping net from close range for his second Needham goal.

A much needed return to winning ways for the Marketmen, who will look to back it up when they travel to Redditch United next Saturday (10th September) in the league. 

Needham Market:-

1 Marcus Garnham

2 Kyle Hammond

3 Jake Dye

14 Christian Frimpong

5 Hugh Cullum

6 Daniel Morphew (c)

7 Jacob Lay (90' Clark)

8 Noah Collard (73' E.Collard)

9 Seth Chambers (73' McGrath)

10 Patrick Brothers

11 Ross Crane


12 Jamie McGrath

15 Evan Collard

16 Taylor Clark

17 Archie Exworth

18 Finlay Shorten


1 Harrison Podd

2 Joe Marsden (90' Spooner)

3 Seb Dunbar 

18 Ryan Jarvis (60' Saunders)

5 Adam Bailey-Dennis

6 Jake Hutchings

7 Finlay Barnes

8 Zach Dronfield (20' Mills)

9 Will Davies

10 George Quantrell

19 Rossi Jarvis


12 Jake Spooner

14 Adam Mills

15 Ollie Saunders

20 Luri Fernandes

Booked: Frimpong (16'), Brothers (40'), Cullum (43'), Bailey-Dennis (58'), Marsden (60'), Barnes (73'), Dye (81').

Assists: Chambers (41'), N.Collard (55'), E.Collard (86').

Goals: Brothers (41'), Lay (55'), Crane 86'; Davies (24').


bottom of page