top of page


Horlock's side named an unchanged side to Tuesday's 2-0 home win over Hitchin Town, with Luke Ingram still unavailable due to a knee injury while Dylan Williams and Ollie Fraser returned. 

The first half however saw very little major chances in an even affair, although Needham created the better chances. The first noteable chance saw Tevan Allen latch onto a long ball forward from goalkeeper Marcus Garnham, on the right-hand edge of the box, before curling a shot in space narrowly over the top far corner on 23 minutes. 

Nine minutes later, Needham were awarded a penalty when Jamie McGrath's curling strike inside the box was handed by a defender. Up stepped the club's former penalty taker Daniel Morphew, who smashed home into the bottom left-hand corner, 1-0 Needham. 

The victory saw Horlock's side go four games unbeaten in all competitions, 3 in the league, though Garnham was on hand to deny Eliot Putman's shot in the 37th minute. 

A good save from goalkeeper Carter denied Reece Harris from doubling his side's lead in the 45+1st minute. The midfielder rasped a fierce 35-yard strike towards the bottom far corner, drawing a great save from the Coalville 'keeper. 

Needham ran riot after the restart, scoring 3 times in the first 15 minutes after the restart.

Callum Page was fed through one on one by a great defence splitting pass from Reece Harris, one on one with Carter on the left-hand side of the box, before sweeping home smartly into the bottom far corner, 2-0 Needham. 

Kyle Hammond then looked to take advantage of catching Carter off his line, but his free-kick just inside the Ravens' half went just over the crossbar after 50 minutes. 

Two minutes later, Needham made it 3-0. Neat passing play saw Tevan Allen feed Jacob Lay, who in turn fed goalscorer Callum Page into space down the right wing whose great low ball on a plate picked out Jamie McGrath unmarked at the far post to tap home from point blank range. 

Another well worked goal saw Needham strike again on the hour mark, Jacob Lay threaded Tevan Allen through smartly onto the right wing byline, whose low cross into the six yard box picked out Callum Page, peeling away at the near post, to guide the ball home into the bottom far corner, for his 4th goal in as many games and second of the game to make it 4-0. 

The home side though pulled a goal back on 64 minutes, substitute Tim Berridge exploited space inside the box to finish smartly on the turn into the bottom far, right-hand, corner, 4-1 to Needham. 

Straight away meanwhile, Needham restored their 4 goal advantage, Jake Dye played a neat one two with eventual goalscorer Jacob Lay to break through out on the right wing, as the full-back's clever low right wing cross was smartly swept home by the latter, 5-1 to Needham after 65 minutes. 

Ten minutes later, Tevan Allen was fed into space just outside the box whose low shot was well held by Carter, while Needham rounded off the rout in the 79th minute. A great long ball over the top from Kyle Hammond was flicked on by goalscorer McGrath onto substitute Seth Chambers, whose immediate impact was to arrive just inside the box to fire home into the bottom right-hand corner, 6-1 Needham. 

Needham though almost added a seventh goal on 88 minutes, Allen latched onto a great right wing long ball to tee up McGrath whose shot just outside the box went just wide of the top far, left-hand, corner. 

The two linked up again two minutes later, but this time the forward's close range strike was smothered behind by the goalkeeper at his near left-hand post. 

Needham will look to extend their run of back to back league wins when they host Alvechurch on Saturday 26th August (3pm). 


bottom of page