top of page


A frustrating afternoon at Bloomfields ends in defeat for Needham Market, who exit the Isuzu FA Trophy at the 3rd Qualifying Round following a 1-0 defeat to Stourbridge.

Manager Kevin Horlock made 3 chances to the Marketmen's FA Cup 3rd Qualifying Round victory at home to Brightlingsea Regent, Kyle Hammond (suspended) and Dan Morphew (unavailable) & Jamie McGrath (started on the bench) were all replaced by Hugh Cullum, Seth Chambers and Luke Ingram respectively in the starting eleven, with new signing Kaan Bennett, on loan from Colchester United, starting on the substitutes bench. 

In truth, the game was a drab affair with very few chances of real note for either side, which ultimately played into the hands of the visitors. 

The Marketmen though had the first opportunity of the afternoon after 3 minutes, although Jake Dye's long range fierce strike went over the bar.

Up the other end though, Stourbridge had a decent chance four minutes later, Cowley chested down goalkeeper Price's long ball well before blazing his shot on the turn over the crossbar.  

While King fired a first time shot from 18-yards out over the crossbar on 9 minutes, the visitors saw a free header loop comfortably over Garnham's crossbar. 

Needham meanwhile had a good chance on 27 minutes, the striker was fed well with his back to goal on the left-hand edge of the box, only for his shot on the turn to be deflected behind the bottom far corner. 

On the half hour mark, the Marketmen created another good chance, albeit Jake Dye's good cross into the six yard box was well held by Price. 

Down the other end came what proved to be the decisive moment as goalkeeper Marcus Garnham conceded a penalty in first half stoppage time. Three minutes into said stoppage time, up-stepped Vaughan, who sent Garnham the wrong way to confidently dispatch the penalty into the top left-hand corner, giving Stourbridge the lead in a poor game from both sides perspectives. 

The second half saw more shots on goal however, with all but a few of which falling to the Marketmen.

Chasing an equaliser, the Reds went close five minutes after the restart, Noah Collard threaded Jacob Lay smartly past the defence, one on one with Price, although his shot was smothered by the onrushing goalkeeper. 

A minute later though, Luke Ingram had a great opportunity to draw his side levels but could only glance his close range header from a great Ross Crane cross straight at Price. 

A fine save through from opposite number, Garnham, denied Stourbridge a second goal on 55 minutes, the stopper reacted superbly as he dived up to tip over Moore's fierce drive from outside the box.

After Noah Collard's great ball into the six yard box forced Price to punch it away after 58 minutes, a fierce low shot from Stourbridge, outside the box, was well saved by Garnham down to his near right-hand side. 

Jacob Lay meanwhile saw a shot blocked after 73 minutes, before Stourbridge saw a shot cleared off the line well, while the follow up shot was blocked away to safety.

If there was ever a moment that suggested that luck was not going for the home side, it would've been in the 77th minute. Clever passing play from the home side saw Man Of The Match, chosen by match and club sponsors the Windscreen Company, Ross Crane feed Noah Collard, who in turn teed up Christian Frimpong, but the midfielder's powerful shot went just over the crossbar. 

Crane then saw a good low right wing cross-shot beaten away by Price as far as Colchester United loanee Kaan Bennett, making his Needham debut, whose shot was smothered well by Price after 77 minutes.

Another good chance however came and went for the Marketmen after 80 minutes, a great ball over the top released Seth Chambers through on goal, but his low shot was straight forward for Price. 

Stourbridge on the other hand saw a shot well blocked late on, while Jake Dye's shot went narrowly behind for a goal-kick as the visitors held on to progress to the next round. 

The Marketmen will look for a quick response on Saturday (15th October), when they host Maidstone United, in the club's biggest game in it's 103 year history, in the 4th Qualifying Round of the Emirates FA Cup (3pm).

Needham Market:-

1 Marcus Garnham

2 Jake Dye

3 Hugh Cullum

14 Christian Frimpong

5 Keiran Morphew (c) (HT' Knights)

6 Seth Chambers

7 Jacob Lay

8 Noah Collard

9 Luke Ingram (62' Bennett)

10 Patrick Brothers (HT' Fitzgerald)

11 Ross Crane


12 Jamie McGrath

15 Thomas Fitzgerald

16 Taylor Clark

17 Kaan Bennett

18 Harry Knights

19 Archie Exworth

20 Finlay Shorten (Gk)


1 Charlie Price

2 Lee Vaughan (c)

3 Demico Burton

4 Alexander Prosser

5 Joel Kettle

6 Joseph Hull

7 Reece King

8 Alexander Moore

9 Jason Cowley

10 Reece Styche (89' Gittings)

11 Tyler Lyttle (63' Knights)


12 Darryl Knights

14 Alex Worley

16 Rackeem Reid

17 Callum Gittings

18 Gregory Mills

Booked: King (39'), Vaughan (50'), Knights (81'), Bennett (86'), Moore (95').

Goal: Vaughan (45'+3'pen).


bottom of page