top of page


Needham Market bow out of this season's Emirates FA Cup proud after a heartbreaking 92nd minute close range York City goal puts the National League side through to the First Round Proper, and a trip to National League North side Chester.

Kevin Horlock's side made one change to Saturday's original tie with Callum Page rested on the bench and Jamie McGrath returning to the starting eleven following his injury at home to Stourbridge.

The Marketmen started on the front foot, quick out of the blocks, and went close after 57 seconds as midfielder Tevan Allen picked up possession before seeing a fierce shot on the right-hand edge of the box deflected just wide of the bottom near corner, for an early Needham corner.

Needham's bright start continued, though it was York who had the next chance of the game - albeit defended well by the home side. Dan Batty fed Ryan Fallowfielsd into space down the right whose run and shot into the box beat Garnham but found Keiran Morphew well placed on the line to slice it over the bar for a corner in the 14th minute, while Castro fired wide of the bottom leftt-hand corner, from outside the box, for the National League side on 17 minutes.

Great play however from the home side five minutes later saw Luke Ingram - closing in on 450 club appearances - expertly intercepting possession on the right-hand edge of the box before driving into the area only for his low dangerous cross, which beat goalkeeper Rory Watson, to go just behind striker Jamie McGrath with the goal all but at his mercy.

The Marketmen however did have the ball in the net on 28 minutes, but for an offside flag. A great through-ball released McGrath one on one, who was adjudged to be in an offside position as he rounded Watson with great skill and netting into an empty net. 

Firm defending from the Marketmen then saw captain Keiran Morphew clear away a dangerous left-hand byline cutback on 32 minutes, while brilliant play from the home side was arguably unfortunate not to result in the opening goal.

Great passing play saw Tommy Smith exploit space on the left wing overlap whose audacious cross fell to Dylan Williams unmarked at the far post whose ferocious close range volley at goal was blocked on 44 minutes.

At the other end, Akinyemi was fed into space outside the box after a neat one-two but fired his shot wide of the bottom, far, left-hand corner on 45+1 minutes as both teams went into break deadlocked 135 minutes of football.

The Marketmen continued to enjoy more of the possession, and arguably the better chances in the second half, although Castro saw a shot well blocked in the first opportunity since the restart for York, on 56 minutes.

At the other end though, the first real save of the night saw Watson deny the home side the opening goal on 64 minutes.

Winger Luke Ingram weaved through into space smartly to the edge of the six yard box before poking a good strike across goal, towards the bottom left-hand corner, although Watson was equal to it to tip it behind. 

The visiting keeper was again forced into action on 71 minutes, as a great counter attack from Needham saw the lower league side break quickly from their own penalty area with Kyle Hammond driving through the Minstermen's half before threading Tevan Allen free on the left wing.

The midfielder then weaved inside expertly, making space to shoot, but for his low ferocious shot to be beaten away by the diving Watson at his near post. 

Two minutes later, Luke Ingram then drove cleverly into space before feeding substitute Callum Page unmarked on the right wing, but his cross was put behind for a corner. 

Needham looked to continue to make their home advantage count as great play saw Jacob Lay fed into space on the left wing before breaking into the box smartly to shoot.

The winger's shot however was blocked as far as Jake Dye whose header looped over the crossbar, while Akinyemi fired over the crossbar from a scoring position for York moments later on 78 minutes.

A Needham corner then fell to an unmarked Tommy Smith inside the box whose ferocious volley at goal was blocked on 81 minutes. 

The away side though did create chances, with woodwork preventing the Minstermen from breaking the deadlock on 86 minutes as Akinyemi's shot on the turn rebounded off the inside base of the left-hand, near, post but into the welcoming gloves of the diving Marcus Garnham.

As the clock showed just 41 seconds of normal time, a dangerous Needham right wing free-kick picked out Keiran Morphew towering unchallenged, free, at the far post, whose header beat Watson but agonisingly also beat the left-hand post. 

But it was the visitors who would snatch a late winner, in the second of an initial three added minutes as a right-hand close range volley from Tyler Cordner was deflected into the bottom near corner to break Needham hearts. 

Nonetheless a performance, and cup run, to be proud of for the Marketmen who bow out at the 4th Qualifying Round, and look to maintain their good form, and move back up from 3rd to 2nd, in the league with a home clash with 9th placed Leamington on Saturday.


bottom of page