top of page


Needham Market remain fifth after six games played following a 0-0 draw away at Leiston.

Kevin Horlock's side, who are now five games unbeaten in the league, made one change to Saturday's 2-0 home win over Alvechurch as Dylan Williams replaced the unavailable Jamie McGrath, while James Letts and Flynn Crosthwaite bolstered the bench.

The Marketmen, sporting their yellow away kit, were the better side but couldn't find a breakthrough, with the visitors having the first chance on 4 minutes. Reece Harris' 30-yard free-kick was smashed into the wall whilr his follow up strike went wide of the bottom right-hand corner.

Kyle Hammond then drove into space four minutes later, before threading Harris through into the box although the latter this time hit his fierce strike just wide into the bottom left-hand side-netting.

Harris was then fed through into the box again after 11 minutes, only for the midfielder to smash his shot, on the volley, over the crossbar.

Leiston's only real chance of the half meanwhile arrived on 14 minutes, Ross Crane drove down the right wing before cutting inside but for the ex-Marketman's tight angled shot to go wide into the bottom near side-netting.

Callum Page meanwhile forced a good save out of Sam Donkin on 23 minutes, the Needham forward was fed into space on the right hand edge of the box before lasering a shot towards the bottom far corner which the keeper beat away, albeit Harris' low cross on the follow up was hit straight to the keeper.

The chances continue to fall to the Marketmen as Kyle Hammond raced onto the loose ball from 30-yards but thumped his shot just wide of the bottom far left hand corner on 27 minutes.

Jacob Lay had a good chance five minutes later, the winger picked up the loose ball on the left hand edge of the box but could only curl his shot wide of the bottom far corner.

The second half saw the Marketmen continue to control proceedings, but still couldn't find a deserved breakthrough, as great play saw Hammond drive through before nutmegging the full back in the process of releasing Man Of The Match Tommy Smith through onto the byline whose cross was deflected behind for a corner on 51 minutes.

Hammond then broke into space to shoot on the left-hand edge of the box two minutes later, but his low shot took a deflection for a comfortable hold for Donkin diving low just to his left hand side.

Jake Dye then showed some neat footwork to beat two men to advance into a crossing position on 56 minutes, the full-back's clever low cross found Callum Page whose shot was blocked by Eddie Jackson.

Page then found space to shoot on the left-hand side a minute later, but his curling shot was well held by Donkin at his top near corner.

Ross Crane then curled a shot just over the top left-hand corner on 72 minutes, while Needham forced another good save out of Donkin on 85 minutes. Substitute Luke Ingram exploited space to drive through and shoot from 30-yards out whose ferocious strike was curling into the bottom far right-hand corner until Donkin tipped it just wide.

Chambers then fired over twice in quick succession on 87 minutes, while Needham 'keeper Marcus Garnham was forced into his only real save in the first minute of added time. Garnham was alert to preserve his side's fourth clean sheet in six league games - and second in a row - as he dived across well to his bottom far, left-hand, corner to tip wide Crane's shot from the edge of the box.

Attention turns to Saturday's Emirates FA Cup trip to step 5 side FC Romania, who groundshare with Cheshunt, in the First Qualifying Round (3pm).


bottom of page