top of page

Frustrating Away Form Continues

A late winner in a game of little clear cut chances was enough to edge the game in the Pics' favour, which saw Needham manager Kevin Horlock name an unchanged side to the 3-0 home win over Hitchin with the only change seeing Patrick Brothers return from suspension on the bench in place of the injured Luke Ingram.

However, one positive for the Marketmen saw defender and Academy graduate Jake Dye reach his 300th club appearance at Rushall.

The travelling Reds had the first chance after 3 minutes as a long range shot almost caught the keeper out off his line, but went narrowly over the crossbar. 

Great play from Needham a minute later meanwhile saw Horlock's side trouble the home defence, Jamie McGrath's sumputous lifted ball over the defence released Seth Chambers into space down the right-hand side of the box, the forward in turn lifted a great ball over the onrushing goalkeeper towards Kaan Bennett arriving at the far post, though a defender was first to it to clear from close range. 

Ross Crane was then fed into space out on the right wing after 8 minutes, the winger cleverly cut inside onto the edge of the box only to blaze his shot over the top far corner. 

It was a fairly tightly fought contest, though the Marketmen tested the home 'keeper on 28 minutes, Crane's left wing corner into the six yard box was punched away by the goalkeeper only as far as Daniel Morphew, whose 10-yard low strike was blocked away by a well placed defender stood just ahead of his right-hand post.

Chambers meanwhile forced a decent stop from the goalkeeper after 36 minutes, the forward was released through down the left hand side of the box, although his tight angled shot was smothered by the onrushing goalkeeper. 

Into the second half, Needham almost broke the deadlock in the 61st minute, Seth Chambers latched onto a great through-ball past the defence onto the left-hand edge of the box, only for the beaten Weaver to take him out as he looked to get a shot off at goal. While Weaver was cautioned for the foul, Kyle Hammond took the resulting free-kick, but could only curl the set-piece narrowly wide of the top far corner.

The Marketmen went close again on 67 minutes, Ross Crane was threaded through by a great ball over the top down the left-hand side of the box, although nobody in Needham red was around the six yard box to tap home. 

At the other end though, Carvalho-Landell smashed a dangerous curling free-kick just over the top far corner two minutes later.

Needham on the other hand did have the ball in the net after 81 minutes, albeit disallowed for offside. Substitute Patrick Brothers was found by Crane, who in turn threaded Seth Chambers through down the left-hand side who stabbed the ball home past the onrushing goalkeeper into the bottom near corner.

Ruhall however snatched all three points six minutes later, after Garnham slipped taking a goal-kick, substitute Alex Cameron picked up possession before driving through down the left-hand side of the box to slot home past the keeper into the bottom far corner. 

The Marketmen now have a break between fixtures, with Coalville Town in FA Trophy action, the Marketmen's next game sees them welcome Barwell on Tuesday 17th January.

Rushall Olympic:-

1 Jacob Weaver

2 Kristian Green

3 Reece Mitchell

4 Alexander Fletcher

5 Jordaan Brown

6 Sam Whittall (HT' Daly)

7 William Shorrock

8 Samuel Mantom (c) (65' Cameron)

9 Andre Carvalho-Landell

10 Callum Couple (80' Cook)

12 Jourdain Nkalambi Masidi


14 Kieran Cook

16 Liam Daly

17 Alex Cameron

18 Declan Riley

19 Tyrese Hughes

Needham Market:-

1 Marcus Garnham

2 Kyle Hammond

3 Jake Dye

14 Christian Frimpong

5 Keiran Morphew (c)

6 Daniel Morphew

7 Taykaan (Kaan) Bennett (59' Collard)

8 Tom Fitzgerald (59' Brothers)

9 Seth Chambers

10 Jamie McGrath

11 Ross Crane


12 Patrick Brothers

15 Noah Collard

16 Harry Knights

Booked: Fitzgerald (42'), Whittall (44'), Green (56'), Weaver (61'), Frimpong/D.Morphew* (69').

Goals: Cameron (87').


bottom of page