top of page


A goal in each half for Mickleover inflicts a fifth straight defeat on Needham Market.

It was a fairly even encounter, though Mickleover took two of their chances well. The hosts had the first chance of the afternoon on 11 minutes as Reeves' low close range shot was beaten away by a smart diving save from Marcus Garnham.

While Brothers saw a fierce strike held well by the goalkeeper soon after, the hosts broke the deadlock on 15 minutes, Reeves was found in space down the left-hand side in the box who finished well into the bottom far corner. 

Needham responded well, although Brothers' fierce shot from the left-hand edge of the box was beaten behind by the 'keeper at the near post for a corner in response on 17 minutes, whilst Jamie McGrath could only head over from a brilliant Dylan Williams right wing corner three minutes before Garnham was on hand to smartly tip a smart Reeves chip just wide after 27 minutes. 

Needham debutant Luke Brown meanwhile fired a fierce strike across goal, from in space on the left-hand edge of the box, just agonisingly over the crossbar on 33 minutes, before Brown saw a shot tipped just wide. Great passing play saw Noah Collard feed Patrick Brothers, the midfielder in turn fed Jake Dye who audaciously threaded Luke Brown through onto the left-hand edge of the box but the forward's low fierce shot across goal was tipped wide by the diving keeper.

The chances continued to fall to the visitors, as Jamie McGrath hit the post a minute later. The forward smartly got onto the end of a brilliant left wing cross from a yard out at the back post, but saw his header cannon back off the outside of the near post. 

The Marketmen though were arguably unlucky not to get a share of the spoils, with Dylan Williams firing a great first time strike just over after low a great cross in from Luke Brown three minutes after the restart.

Needham meanwhile were just unable to get on the end of a great ball across on a plate with nobody in Needham's yellow away kit around to provide the finishing touch that Patrick Brothers' left wing outswinging sumptuous delivery, into the six yard box, craved on 51 minutes.

The Marketmen though created a great chance on 70 minutes, Dylan Williams' dangerous 30-yard free-kick was swung in towards Noah Collard lurking close to goal at the far post, though a defender was first to the ball to poke it behind for a corner.

Mickleover then effectively killed off the game with a counter attack goal from the resulting Needham corner a minute later, striker George Nunn rounded it off by latching onto a great through-ball before chipping the onrushing Garnham to inflict a harsh defeat on the visitors. 

Luke Ingram however went close to reducing the deficit a minute later, but the substitute sliding in just couldn't get a touch to a brilliant ball in on a plate straight after.

A crucial save from Marcus Garnham prevented Mickleover from adding a third goal on 81 minutes, George Nunn was released through one on one with Garnham once more, only this time the Needham goalkeeper advanced off his line well to smother the shot away with his feet.

Mickleover then saw a shot from the right-hand side of the box clip just over off the top left-hand side of the crossbar three minutes later, while Luke Brown just couldn't quite connect to a brilliant Jake Dye header across the penalty area after 89 minutes. 

Kevin Horlock's side will look for a swift response on Tuesday at home to AFC Rushden + Diamonds (7:45pm).


bottom of page