top of page

Chambers brace motors Needham to a second consecutive home win.

A second half brace from Match Sponsors Needham Gym and Rock Estates Man Of The Match Seth Chambers fired Needham Market to a second in the space of five days, as Stourbridge's search for a first win of the new season continues.

Needham manager Kevin Horlock made 1 change for his side's third of four consecutive home matches, with Taylor Clark replacing Jamie McGrath - who was away on holiday, while Under-23s goalkeeper Finlay Shorten was named among the substitutes.

Stourbridge, who still have only picked up 2 points so far this season (having lost 3-0 at Alvechurch, before draws at home to Tamworth (1-1) and away to Hednesford (0-0), had the first shot on goal of the afternoon. Cowley picked up possession down the left-hand side of the box, only to see his low shot across goal beaten away well by Needham goalkeeper Marcus Garnham, after 17 minutes.

The first half lacked many real clear cut chances, with Stourbridge starting the brighter, while most of the better chances arrived at the other end - as the Marketmen grew into the game well, before dominating the second half.

In response to that Garnham save, however, Needham went agonisingly close to breaking the deadlock just a minute later, Jacob Lay squared a great ball across the six yard box, on a plate, for the onrushing Seth Chambers - who just couldn't make contact. 

At the other end, Stourbridge did have a decent chance on 26 minutes, albeit the glancing header from a right wing corner went wide of the far post. 

Needham, on the other hand, nearly took full advantage, Jacob Lay latches onto a great long ball down the right hand side, the winger cut back possession cleverly to Taylor Clark, arriving, but the latter could only shoot agonisingly just wide of the bottom far corner after 29 minutes.

Some great play from Needham essentially set up the first goal of the game, after the ball fell kindly for striker Seth Chambers, free inside the box, the striker saw two shots well blocked, with the second blocked behind for a corner in the 33rd minute.

And it was from that corner that Needham broke the deadlock, Ross Crane's sumputous right wing corner picked out Daniel Morphew, who cooly volleyed home, from 10-yards out, into the bottom far corner - making it 1-0 Needham in the process. 

The goal galvanised the home side, with Jacob Lay immediately having a low shot, just outside the box, well blocked by Joel Kettle, while Patrick Brothers, buoyed by his stunning brace in Tuesday's 4-2 home win over St Ives, curled a decent 30-yard strike wide of the top left corner in the 37th minute. 

Six minutes later, it was almost 2-0 to Needham, as Ross Crane was centimeters away from adding to his goal and two assists within a week, the forward drove through smartly down the the right-hand side, before chipping the committed, onrushing, goalkeeper Charlie Price, although his shot went just past the bottom right hand post. 

And with the second nine minutes old, a golden opportunity went begging for the home side - Crane again exploited space, driving through down the right-hand side, the winger feed up Jacob Lay, from point blank range, but his fellow winger couldn't quite provide the touch it needed. 

That was quickly forgotten though, as Needham doubled their lead a minute later courtesy of an excellent goal. Seth Chambers - after being fed through by Taylor Clark - drilled an audacious strike through the goalkeeper's legs, and into the bottom right hand, near, corner, 2-0 Needham.

Needham were not finished yet though, as the Marketmen almost notched a third goal straight after, Patrick Brothers set double goalscorer Chambers free in acres of space, the latter then squared the ball across to Lay, although Price was quickly off his line to poke the ball away.

Stourbridge then went down the other end, and quickly reduced the deficit back to a single goal, Reece Styche stepped up to take a dangerous free-kick on the right-hand edge of the box, with the striker cleverly curling it home into the bottom far corner, 2-1.

The chances meanwhile continued to flow for Needham, who arguably should have restored their two goal advantage on 62 minutes, Ross Crane's fantastic left wing free-kick picked out Christian Frimpong, free from point blank range at the near post, albeit the latter could only head it just wide of the near post. 

Visiting goalscorer Styche almost took advantage of that miss, but could only loop his header from a left wing cross, back across goal, and onto the roof of the net on 67 minutes. 

Seven minutes later, Crane again looked to test the visiting keeper, this time the winger cut in smartly down the right-hand side of the box, although his shot went straight to the keeper.  

Then came the latest twist of the afternoon, as away side were then reduced to ten men, just seconds later, after goalscorer Reece Styche elbowed Daniel Morphew. 

Needham took full advantage, of the man advantage, restoring their two goal lead in the 87th minute, with star man Seth Chambers wrapping up a brilliant performance from him in particular. After Ross Crane was threaded through down the right wing, the winger squared the ball off to Chambers, who first time cooly smashed home into the bottom near corner, 3-1 Needham. The goal was fittingly his final action of the afternoon, as he was then replaced by Archie Exworth.

There was still time for Needham to have one more chance to extend their lead, which arrived in the fourth, of five, minute of added time.

After Crane's first shot was blocked, the winger quickly got a shot off from the rebound, forcing Price - reacting well off his line - to parry it away, only as far as Lay on the left-hand side, whose low shot at the near post was beaten behind smartly by the 'keeper. 

Needham now sit seventh, while Stourbridge remain 21st, with Needham turning the attention to Monday's FA Cup 1st Qualifying Round draw (1pm) and Saturday's home meeting with Rushall Olympic (14th, who beat Bromsgrove Sporting 3-1 at home).

Needham Market:-

1 Marcus Garnham

2 Kyle Hammond (90' Cullum)

3 Jake Dye

14 Christian Frimpong

5 Keiran Morphew (c)

6 Daniel Morphew

7 Jacob Lay

8 Patrick Brothers

9 Seth Chambers (88' Exworth)

10 Taylor Clark (76' Collard)

11 Ross Crane


12 Evan Collard

15 Hugh Cullum

16 Archie Exworth

17 Finlay Shorten (GK)


1 Charlie Price

2 Lee Vaughan (c) 

3 Jack Wilson (58' Knight)

4 Callum Gittings

5 Joel Kettle

6 Joe Hull

7 Darryl Knights

8 Moussa Koita (HT' Lewis)

9 Jason Cowley

10 Reece Styche

11 Rackeem Reid (72' Moran)


12 Christopher Knight 

14 Alex Worley

15 Ethan Moran

16 Reece King 

17 Harry Lewis

Booked: Cowley (19'), Brothers (38'), Crane (45'+2'), Knight (68'), S coach (79'), E.Collard (90'+3')

Goals: D.Morphew (34'), Chambers (55', 87'); Styche (57')

Assists: Crane (34', 87'), Clark (55').

Sent Off: Styche (75')


bottom of page