CLUB MAIN SPONSOR - THE WINDSCREEN COMPANYLeague Sponsor - Bet VictorWebsite Sponsor  - Mark J Morsley And Associates LtdSponsor - The KBB Centre
Wed 21
Harleston Town
Needham Reserves defeated 2-5 by strong Harleston display

Needham Reserves defeated 2-5 by strong Harleston display

By Drew Kendall
Share via

Hunt and Abrahams on target as Young Marketmen fall to defeat

Needham Market Reserves lost 2-5 at home to Harleston Town despite Joe Hunt’s early screamer putting the Young Marketmen a goal up.

Harleston though had the first strike at goal after 2 minutes, Baker’s shot from the left edge of the box going wide off the top far corner. On 8 minutes however, Needham took the lead as Joe Hunt’s rocket from the left edge of the box finding the postage stamp in the top far corner. Two minutes later however, Baker went close again for the visitors as this time his shot on the right towards the top far corner was palmed over strongly by Shorten for a corner. The low shot though on the right went wide of the bottom left corner.

After 11 minutes, a Needham cross in on the right was met by the head of Ethan Abrahams at the far post who could only head wide. Then on 12 minutes, Harleston had a shot blocked in the box before the rebound volley on the right side in the box was hit straight into Shorten’s chest. Baker then had another two shots kept out on 13 minutes, the first seeing his volley from the edge of the box deflected over the bar for a corner, before the corner in on the left found the visiting No.10 at the far post.

However, Baker’s header was blocked, as a Harleston ball back across goal to the right post was headed wide by a visiting man. With seventeen minutes on the clock, a Harleston corner in on the right was headed towards the far post by a Magpies man at the near post, but comfortably wide off the target. Three minutes later, Baker went close again, with his effort at the near post, following a cross in on the left, being blocked. The second Harleston cross in though was headed at goal at the near post but was easy for Shorten to push behind for a corner. Twenty-three minutes in another Harleston cross in on the left found Baker with a free header at the near post, whose flicked header was palmed away well by Shorten diving across to his left. The visitors though levelled from the resulting corner, as Baker (I believe) headed in from close range. Roberts then had a go at goal for Harleston on 27 minutes, as he cut into the right side in the box before firing a shot over the bar.

Fair to say the visitors were determined to take the lead going into the interval, but were unable to do so as their low shot on the box was cleared off the left post on the half-hour mark. The visitors then continued to press on 31 minutes, Baker’s low shot on the edge of the box was blocked behind the left post for a corner. Harleston then struck a 25-yard low effort straight at Shorten, at his right post a minute later, before Baker was once more a thorn in the hosts’ side once again. The visiting No.10 was fed through on the right inside the box before a tackle briefly halted him. Baker then though cut in to shoot from close range, only to see his shot blocked behind by Shorten for a corner on 37 minutes. From the resulting corner, a minute later, the visitors put their shot behind the far post.

Needham though then went close to going back in front on 39 minutes, Evan Collard going for a 25-yard low strike but shot wide off the near post. The two sides then had a shot each to conclude the first forty-five minutes, as Needham’s shot on the right went wide off the bottom far corner from 25-yards with just stoppage time remaining.

The visitors then went close two minutes into added time, as their low shot inside the box saw Shorten get a hand to it diving at his right post before a Red player cleared off the line.
HALF TIME: Needham Market Reserves 1-1 Harleston Town

Two minutes after the break, Harleston took the lead as a cross in on the right was headed towards goal at the far post. The header though was cleared off the line, as the rebound was bundled into the left post from close range. The Young Marketmen however, responded on 49 minutes with McCrory shooting straight at the visiting keeper from the edge of the box. Harleston then curled a shot over the bar, from the left edge of the Needham penalty area after 50 minutes, before a cross in from the visitors on the right found the near corner of Shorten’s net to extend the Harleston lead to 1-3 on 52 minutes. Two minutes later, Harleston had a shot blocked followed by Needham firing over the bar on 55 minutes.

Shorten was then forced into a good save on 57 minutes, as a Harleston shot on the right was tipped over well by the Needham stopper at his near post. Roberts then forced Shorten into a routine stop 5 minutes later, as his shot on the right side in the area was hit straight at the home keeper.

Seconds later though, it was 1-4 in Harleston’s favour, as a shot on the left side in the box beat the keeper standing at his near post. Then on 68 minutes, Harleston again went for goal inside the home penalty area but this time was claimed by Shorten at his right post. Needham then pulled a goal back on 69 minutes, as Ethan Abrahams was fed through on the left side in the box who then rounded the committed keeper before netting into the bottom left corner. Two minutes later, Harleston had another crack at goal from the right side in the box but fired over the crossbar. The visitors then thought they had a fifth goal on 72 minutes, as the Magpies hit the post with the rebound netted into the open net- but fortunately for the Young Marketmen it was ruled out for offside.

Needham went straight down the other end however, as George Clayton-Leek was fed through on the right inside the box with the substitute shooting into the sidenetting. With nine minutes remaining, Harleston were awarded a penalty after Worendl brought down a visiting man in the box. The spotkick though was not taken advantage of on 82 minutes, as Shorten saved down to his left before gathering the rebound after it had gone underneath him whilst trying to catch. Harleston though were insistent on getting a fifth goal, firing low and straight at Shorten from the right side in the box on 86 minutes. The visitors though got their deserved goal a minute later however, as a shot on the right was well struck into the far corner from point blank range.

The visitors then finished the game going ultimately close to getting a sixth goal a minute into added time. The first shot in the box was blocked off the line, with the second cleared off the line at the left post as the third and final shot was low and straight at Fin Shorten. That concluded a goalfest as Harleston ran out 2-5 winners.

FULL TIME: Needham Market Reserves 2-5 Harleston Town FC.

Needham Market Res:
1 Fin Shorten
2 James Carragher
3 Jes Nevard
4 Tom Worendl ©
5 Morgan Rushton
6 Joe Hunt
7 Ethan Abrahams
8 Evan Collard
9 Bowen McCrory
10 Reece Dobson
11 Callum Page
12 Matthew Cobbold
14 Jose Santa
15 George Clayton-Leek
16 Noah Collard
17 Owen Eldson (GK)

Harleston Town:-
1 Branson Ling
2 Jake Ancma
3 Connor Green
4 Charlie Roe
5 Marc Pearce
6 Mark Shadrack ©
7 Scott Roberts
8 Sam Borrer
9 Lawrence Cheese
10 Kyle Baker
11 Connor Delaney
12 Matt Howard
14 Brandon Pickess
15 Adam Gusterson

Share via

Match details

Match date

Wed 21, Nov 2018






First Division North

League position

Harleston Town
Needham Market Res