Club app icon

Pitchero Club



1st Team - Match centre

Needham Market
D Morphew  (59')
Full time
Sat 9 Mar 15:00 - The Evo-Stik South - Premier Division Central

The Lambs get the better of the Marketmen!!


Two late first half goals, a red card and another defeat – another bad day at Bloomfields…

The Marketmen supporters were hoping to see if the Marketmen could turn the corner in their run of poor form and overcome one of the league’s form teams at Bloomfields. Dan Morphew returned to the back four allowing James Baker to revert to his centre forward role. Gareth Heath also returned in place of Russell Short. Luke Ingram dropped to the bench.

It was a bright start to the match despite both sides trying to keep the ball down as the sun and wind played its part. Tamworth Kyron Stabana’s cross from the left tested the home defence who had to clear it quickly away from the path of Jack Concannon and Chris Lait forced a corner which also had to be dealt with well. Both centre halves had to be on top of their game as Dan Morphew made a good tackle to stop the progress of Tyrell Waite and his namesake Keiran had to make an important clearance to stop the advancing Chris Lait.

Whilst at the other end Jake Dye made a great run down the right, beating two players and getting a decent cross into the box, but the Tamworth defence were alert. As was their keeper Jasbir Singh when he calmly collected a good Jamie Griffiths cross, which came about after some good work from Samuel Squire and Adam Mills.

However, the first real shot at goal came from Tamworth’s Claudio Dias, which he will probably forget about it very quickly as the ball nestled high in the tress behind the goal.

The Marketmen put a good move forwards, the ball reached Joseph Marsden on the edge of the area, but he was unable to thread the ball through to James Baker and the visiting keeper was happy to gather up the ball.

Moments later it was Tamworth’s turn fashion an attacking move, which saw Tyrell Waite get into a good position on the edge of the box, but he was off balance when he shot and it went well wide of the mark.

Midway through the half a run by Joseph Marsden saw him strike a low shot from the right towards the near post, but it didn’t trouble the keeper as he gathered the ball easily.

A couple of minutes later Tamworth’s Claudio Dias got the ball on the right and floated a nice ball into to the edge of the area where it found the advancing Jordan Clement, who decided to take it on the volley, he struck it well and his effort went just over the bar, along with a sigh of relief from the Marketmen players and supporters alike.

Soon afterwards they came on the attack once more, with a strong Chris Lait run. He beat his marker and carried on into the area, but was unable to get a shot away by the presence of Jake Jessup. He ended up prostrate on the floor with the visitors claiming a penalty but the referee was having none of it.

Although the Marketmen were having their fair share of procession they did struggle a bit to find that last something in the final third.

With seven first half minutes remaining Tamworth were awarded a free kick after Tyrell Waite was fouled just outside the box, which also earnt Dan Morphew a yellow card. Ryan Beswick took the responsibility of the free kick, he curled it over the wall and inside the near post to give Tamworth the lead. 1-0 TFC (38 mins)

The Marketmen responded well and got a free kick, thirty yards out after, Gareth Heath was brought down by Tamworth’s skipper Joe Kettle, who received a yellow. Callum Sturgess took the ensuing kick. He struck it low through the wall but it went straight into the arms of keeper Jasbir Singh.

With a minute of normal first half time to go Tamworth came forward with Rashaan Frances down the right and slid the ball to Jack Concannon, who on receiving the ball fought well to get himself past his marker, getting into the right hand side of box he found the space to rifle his shot past the keeper and in off the far post to double the visitors lead. 2-0 TFC (44 mins)

Could the Marketmen get one back before the break? Two minutes into first half added time they were awarded a free kick 20 yards out. Joseph Marsden stepped up to take the kick from the left, he struck it well but alas his effort just cleared the bar with the keeper beaten.

Half Time: Needham Market 0 vs Tamworth 2

Needham came out second half looking to find a way back into the game. They started well; a promising move was brought to an abrupt halt by Ryan Beswick, who got a yellow for his endeavours. A long Jake Jessup ball found Joseph Marsden, who in turn found James Baker, whose shot was well blocked. Callum Sturgess then made a great run down the left beating two Tamworth players in the process but he was halted by the referee’s whistle to the bemusement of most watching.

With 10 minutes played in the half came the talking point of the match, with the ball in the Visitors half Tamworth’s Tyrell Waite made a challenge on Gareth Heath, and whilst he was in a heap on the floor the ball broke to Chris Lait. He continued on as he forged down the left channel to the edge of the area, picking his spot he fired past Jessup into the far corner. 3-0 TFC (54 mins)

The challenge incensed the Needham management and players who felt it was high and with their emotions running high it sparked them into playing with much more determination.

This was clear to see three minutes later when a strong run from Callum Sturgess saw him brought down. He got up to take the free kick himself and delivered a great ball into a crowded area to find the head of Dan Morphew, he directed it goal wards and despite the keeper Jasbir Singh getting a hand to it, he couldn’t prevent it from going in at the near post. 3-1 TFC (59 mins)

The Marketmen made the first change of the afternoon with Adam Mills making way for Luke Ingram. His first contribution to the game was to pick up a yellow after making it clear to the referee his feelings about the earlier incident.

The Marketmen kept up the pressure making the game livelier. Jake Dye travelling forward found James Baker, but he was unable to get a shot on target as it was turned away for a corner. Soon afterwards he was involved again when he got on the end of move put together by Samuel Squire and Luke Ingram, the result was the same as the Tamworth defence had to put it behind for the corner. It was looking like Needham could set up a grandstand finish just waiting for that moment to unlock the Tamworth defence, but they kept holding on firmly, clearing their lines anyway they could.

And they did have their moments in attack. With twenty minutes to go a Ryan Beswick freekick was headed down by Joe Kettle at the back of the box and it fell into the path of Jordan Clement, who met it well but a Marketmen defender got in the way to block its path and prevented it reaching the target.

Minutes later another forward run by Jake Dye forced a corner on the right when his blocked shot was put behind by Kyron Stabana.

Tamworth then made their first change and introduced Charlie Shaw in place of Claudio Dias. The Marketmen followed suit and brought on Regan Pelling in place of Jamie Griffiths.

The Marketmen continued to battle on and keep up the pressure. Callum Sturgess took a free kick on the right wing and it took a touch of Ryan Beswick for a corner. The corner itself had to be cleared from the danger zone by Joe Kettle.

Shortly after, Callum Sturgess forged down the left and found James Baker, he shot but it was blocked. However it fell into the path of Joseph Marsden, whose shot did not cause Jasbir Singh a problem as was able to take hold of the ball.

In one of ventures forwards Tamworth’s Jack Concannon, in a good move out of midfield, found Charlie Shaw, who in turn found Jordan Clement. His effort resulted in a corner which Jessup gathered the incoming corner to prevent the recently introduced Tamworth substitute Jaanai Gordon from reaching the ball.

With time ticking away the Marketmen tried again, Callum Sturgess made yet another run down the left, his cross was cleared but fell to Samuel Squire, who put it back in. it reached Jake Dye on the far side. He cut inside and tried his luck with a shot, but it was gathered up by the keeper.

On eighty-eight minutes Dan Morphew committed a foul on Jordan Clement. He was not happy about the decision, having already a yellow towards his name, his gesticulations towards the officials only enhanced the certainty of the second yellow and ultimately the red card.

Tamworth, in added time put together a good move that provided Jordan Clement with a good shooting opportunity. He picked his spot from twenty yards, but saw his shot come back off the post and Jack Concannon hit the rebound just wide from a similar distance.

But the final chance of the game went the Marketmen’s’ way as a header from a Gareth Heath’s corner was cleared of the line, which proved to be the touch of the game.

Bloomfields saw the Marketmen slump to their fourth successive defeat, albeit the performance was encouraging. The visitors headed back to Staffordshire with the three points and their fifth win in six games, whilst the Marketmen have only taken four points out of the last twenty-four.

Full Time: Needham Market 1 vs Tamworth 3


Needham Market: Jessup, Dye, Sturgess, Squire, Morphew K, Morphew D, Marsden, Heath (c.), Baker, Griffiths (Pelling 75), Mills (Ingram 59)

Tamworth: Singh, Frances, Stabana, Beswick, Kettle (c.), Magunda, Concannon, Clement, Waite (Gordon 80), Dias (Shaw 74), Lait (James R 83)

Key moments

Goal Dan Morphew scores for Needham Market


View 0 new events
74:00 Sub On
Regan Pelling is substituted on for Needham Market
74:00 Sub Off
Jamie Griffiths is substituted off for Needham Market
59:00 Goal 1 - 0
Dan Morphew scores for Needham Market
59:00 Sub On
Luke Ingram is substituted on for Needham Market
59:00 Sub Off
Adam Mills is substituted off for Needham Market
Start of the game
Replay game

As it happened

  • Needham Market
  • Tamworth
  • 0
  • Dan Morphew Goal 59:00'
  • Luke Ingram Sub On 59:00'
  • Adam Mills Sub Off 59:00'
  • Regan Pelling Sub On 74:00'
  • Jamie Griffiths Sub Off 74:00'

Team selection

League round up

Other Premier Division Central results

Halesowen Town
Hitchin Town
Kettering Town
Royston Town
Rushall Olympic
King's Lynn Town
St Ives Town
St Neots Town
AFC Rushden & Diamonds


Loading comments

Team sponsors


Club sponsors