Club app icon

Pitchero Club



1st Team - Match centre

Lowestoft Town
Needham Market
Full time
J Marsden (10'), R Dobson (28')
Sat 5 Jan 15:00 - The Evo-Stik South - Premier Division Central Attendance 335

The Marketmen stroll to victory on the coast!!


First half strikes gives the Marketmen the 3 points in their last Suffolk derby of the season..

Could the Marketmen recover from their New Year’s Day defeat and get something from their last Suffolk derby this season. A trip to Lowestoft’s Amber Dew Events stadium would provide the answer. They made changes to the starting XI, an injury to Dan Morphew meant that James Baker started at centre half, allowing Reece Dobson to start upfront. Jake Dye also started at right back with Joseph Marsden going to right wing, which meant Jeremiah Kamanzi returned to the bench.

The Marketmen started the match well to gain the upper hand. They created the first chance when a move came down out to left to find Adam Mills with a shooting opportunity, but his effort was gathered up by the hosts keeper Billy Johnson. Adam, who was busy early on and throughout the game, soon after had another chance after Gareth Heath and Joseph Marsden combined to set him up for a shot, unfortunately a Lowestoft player got in the way to block it for a corner.

Moments later Lowestoft made a mistake in midfield giving the ball away, after some good hassling by the Marketmen midfield. This gave Adam Mills the opportunity to run forward and find space for a shot. He did this but this time his effort went the wrong side of the post.

Lowestoft’s first chance of the game came not long after, when they broke well playing through the middle, the final was delivered to number 9, Shaun Bammant on the far side of the area. He tried to curl it inside the far post, and only just missed as scuffed the outside of the post.

With just 10 minutes gone Lowestoft made another mistake giving the ball away in their own half, again Adam Mills was the benefactor and came forward and laid it back for Joseph Marsden, he calmly took his time and duly slotted it away to give the Marketmen an early lead. 1-0 NMFC – 10 Mins.

With their tails up the Marketmen carried on pressuring the hosts. A couple of minutes after the goal Reece Dobson went on a good run through the Lowestoft midfield, he then picked out Gareth Heath, who let fly just outside the area, but the Lowestoft defence were able to block it before it reached the target.

Lowestoft did try and mount a response but didn’t quite always get it together in the final third. A few promising attacks were well dealt with by the Marketmen’s keeper and defenders. Although they did manage to have a couple of half chances, both of which fell to their number 7, Ben Fowkes. He sent his first effort wide and the second one was not on target either, with it going over the top.

Needham continued to come forward with the midfield working well. Samuel Squire with an example of this came forward and played the ball out wide to Adam Mills, he in turn played a pass seeking out Joseph Marsden, whose attempt on goal this time was put behind for the corner.

As the half hour approached Needham once more pressed on down the left with Adam Mills, and again played a ball in the direction of Joseph Marsden, he provided the perfect pass to find Reece Dobson who had time and space to slot his shot passed the keeper into the back of the net to increase the Marketmen’s lead. 2-0 NMFC – 28 Mins.

Minutes later another Needham move involving Adam Mills and Joseph Marsden saw the later put an effort passed the post.

Lowestoft, now with their job made harder, needed something to get them back into it. Much as they tried they couldn’t create anything dangerous to trouble the Marketmen’s back line. They had bits and pieces during the last minutes of the half such as; a good cross just eluded the number 9 and fell to the number 8, Connor Deeks, who blasted it over. Soon after they had a shot at goal but it lacked power and was easily gathered by Jake Jessup, as was a header following a cross from the left. Their best effort though came on the stroke of half time; breaking well they set up their number 10, Tom Hughes, whose got his effort on target, but Jake Jessup got down well to deny him.

Half Time: Lowestoft Town 0 vs Needham Market 2

Neither side made any changes at half time. The half started in the same vein with Needham asserting control and hassling Lowestoft not allowing them to settle. The first marketmen chance of the half came when Samuel Squire won the ball well in midfield played the ball out to Adam Mills, who found space to put over a cross, Luke Ingram got to it and set up Gareth Heath with an opportunity. Alas his shot was wide of the target.

Lowestoft first real effort of the half nearly brought them rewards, with a good cross into the box by their number 3, Jack Wilkinson, which was met firmly by the head of number 8 and came off the top of the crossbar and out of play.

The home side were the first to make a change when Matt Brown replaced Armani Schaar.

A minute later Lowestoft were almost given a lifeline back into the game when a cross delivered into the Needham box was met by Keiran Morphew, but he miscued his header and directs it towards his own goal, luckily for him Jake Jessup was alert to pull off a great save pushing it over.

After weathering that slight scare Needham settled and created a couple of half chances of their own. Reece Dobson, benefitting from a Lowestoft mistake, came forward and had a shot, which unfortunately went over the bar. This was closely followed by a great Jake Dye run down the right, he put in the cross, which was blocked just in time before reaching the eager Marketmen attackers waiting for the chance to score.

With 20 minutes remaining on the clock Lowestoft were awarded a free kick in a dangerous position. It was taken by number 11, Adam Smith, who sent in a decent ball which found its way to the head of number 5, Josh Curry. His goal bound header was excellently saved by Jake Jessup.

Despite this Needham continued to have the upper hand and kept possession well waiting for the right opportunity to attack. With Cullum Sturgess linking up well with Adam Mills and Joseph Marsden in a move that saw a shot from Joseph just go wide.

The Marketmen then made their first change of the afternoon when Jamie Griffiths was introduced in place of Adam Mills, who had played well.

Callum Sturgess took an opportunity to go forward into the hosts half, and he received the ball from Joseph Marsden, but before he could produce his final ball he was fouled 25 yards out. He drilled the kick into the area but the Lowestoft keeper was there to gather it.

With less than 5 minutes to go Jamie Griffiths linked up well with Joseph Marsden with a good one-two that allowed Joseph to run at goal. He found space for the shot and let fly, which forced the Lowestoft keeper into a good save.

The Marketmen made their second change as the game approached the end of normal time, Reece Dobson made way for Tariq Issa.

With the game entering the additional time Lowestoft broke forward, the ball was played out to the number 3, Jack Wilkinson, who drilled it across goal but no Lowestoft attacker can quite connect with it.

I suspect game management saw the Marketmen make their third and final change of the game, with Jeremiah Kamanzi replacing Joseph Marsden, who had a good productive afternoon.

In the dying seconds Lowestoft had a chance to at least get a consolation from a corner. It was well delivered and found its way to the number 5, Josh Curry, but he could not direct it sufficient enough and blazed it over the bar.

The Marketmen saw the game out and grab the 3 points to keep them in touch with the teams chasing the play-off places. This was in fairness a comfortable victory with good steady performances all round. With some matches involving these teams coming up hopefully the Marketmen can begin to improve their season’s record against the league’s top teams.

Full Time: Lowestoft Town 0 vs Needham Market 2


Lowestoft Town: Johnson, Schaar (Brown), Wilkinson, Pollock, Curry, Vega, Fowkes, Deeks, Bammant, Hughes, Smith (Tann)

Needham Market: Jessup, Dye, Sturgess, Squire, Morphew (K), Baker, Marsden (Kamanzi), Heath, Ingram, Dobson (Issa), Mills (Griffiths)

Key moments

Goal Joseph Marsden scores for Needham Market
Goal Reece Dobson scores for Needham Market


View 0 new events
88:00 Sub On
Jeremiah Kamanzi is substituted on for Needham Market
88:00 Sub Off
Joseph Marsden is substituted off for Needham Market
87:00 Sub On
Tariq Issa is substituted on for Needham Market
87:00 Sub Off
Reece Dobson is substituted off for Needham Market
81:00 Sub On
Jamie Griffiths is substituted on for Needham Market
81:00 Sub Off
Adam Mills is substituted off for Needham Market
End of period 1
28:00 Goal 0 - 2
Reece Dobson scores for Needham Market
10:00 Goal 0 - 1
Joseph Marsden scores for Needham Market
Start of the game
Replay game

As it happened

  • Lowestoft Town
  • Needham Market
  • 0
  • Joseph Marsden Goal 10:00'
  • Reece Dobson Goal 28:00'
  • Jamie Griffiths Sub On 81:00'
  • Adam Mills Sub Off 81:00'
  • Tariq Issa Sub On 87:00'
  • Reece Dobson Sub Off 87:00'
  • Jeremiah Kamanzi Sub On 88:00'
  • Joseph Marsden Sub Off 88:00'

Team selection

League round up

Other Premier Division Central results

St Ives Town
Halesowen Town
Hitchin Town
AFC Rushden & Diamonds
Kettering Town
King's Lynn Town
Rushall Olympic
St Neots Town
Royston Town


Loading comments

Team sponsors


Club sponsors