Club app icon

Pitchero Club



1ST TEAM - Match centre

Herne Bay
Full time
R Dobson (71')
Sat 10 Nov 15:00 - Cup Attendance 206

Trip to the coast ends in victory!!


71st minute winner from sub Dobson puts the Marketmen through

The Marketmen travelled to the North Kent coast for their second installment of the FA Trophy campaign. The opposition were Herne Bay, who play their football in the Bostik South East division a step below the the visitors. The home side had been busy off the field during the week and sported three new midweek signings in their match day squad, whilst Needham gave their recent signing James Baker his first full game.

Needham started the match the stronger controlling the tempo, however they were guilty of wasting a couple of good opportunities in the first ten minutes. The first chance, came from a good build up through the midfield that saw the ball end up at James Baker's feet where his attempted shot on goal ended up going wide. The second chance was very similar in execution and result, the real difference this time was Luke Ingram who put his shot wide of the target.

In between these two chances Herne Bay fashioned a half chance from a corner, a flick on at the near post created a shooting opportunity but it went wide as well.

The Marketmen continued to probe, with Samuel Squire worth a mention as he produced some good work during this period and throughout the game. They managed to force a few corners that unfortunately did not lead to any goal scoring chances. However, one build up that did lead to a great chance was a neat through ball that sent Luke Ingram through on goal, bearing down on the target was this the moment to open the scoring, this time the answer was 'no' as the home keeper blocked his shot at the expense of another corner.

As Herne Bay came more into the game Danny Leonard their number 10 went passed his defender and raced into the box but his low drive was well saved by the outstretched leg of Jake Jessup. From the resulting corner kick Jake Jessup again was called into action and pulled off a great one handed save, pushing Danny Rumbol’s header over the bar.

Moments later the Marketmen were awarded a free kick after a clumsy tackle that left Joseph Marsden on the floor. Once treatment had been administered and the game restarted, the resulting free kick would have been more suited to the game played at Twickenham.

A few minutes later, Herne Bay's debutant Kyron Lightfoot finished a move that saw the ball go inches over the bar. Back came the Marketmen putting the pressure on, which nearly paid off, as Matt Fry fouled Jeremiah Kamanzi on the edge of the box. The resulting free kick from Callum Sturgess forced the home side's new keeper, Simon Overland into a full length diving save, the ball rebounded back into the path of the Needham forward Luke Ingram, but Overland was back up on his feet to block shot and force the ball away for a corner.

The final half chance of the half fell to the Marketmen when a mishit shot came to James Baker whose effort again went over the bar. The half came to a close and the teams left the field with the score goalless.

Half Time: Herne Bay 0 vs Needham Market 0

After the break it was the Kent side who started the better and created a good chance early on. Gaining a free kick following a good break by Alex Mulrooney-Skinner starting in his own half went on a forceful run towards the Marketmen area where he was brought down just outside it. Tom Carlton took the resulting free kick, but curled his effort passed the post.

The Marketmen responded with Gareth Heath plying a good out wide to Adam Mills, who put in a decent cross, which had to be put behind by the home defence.

Moments later the Marketmen broke again and this time it was the foot of Samuel Squire which sent in a long range shot towards goal, the home keeper was equal to it this time and got down smartly to gather the ball up.

Shortly afterwards it was the turn of Herne Bay to come forward and were awarded a free kick, which resulted in a Miles Cornwell header being tipped over the bar by Jake Jessup. The resulting corner saw Danny Rumbol’s header hit the inside of the post and agonisingly rolled along the line before a Marketmen defender got his boot to it and cleared the danger.

Needham kept probing forward but were unable to find that telling final ball as several moves testified. The bench, probably keen to get the tie down and dusted on the day, sensed that a change had to be made and set about weighing up their options. The change was made with just over 20 minutes remaining, when they sent on Reece Dobson in place of midfielder Jeremiah Kamanzi, to try and bolster there attacking options.

This change had an immediate effect when having only been on the field for a couple of minutes, he was given a nice ball from Keiran Morphew which he latched on to, creating some space for the shot he fired in the shot from 18 yards out. His left foot effort beat the home keeper and flew into the bottom corner. 1-0 NMFC.

Minutes later the Marketmen had a chance to double their lead when James Baker won a free kick just outside the area. The goalscorer Reece Dobson stepped up but he sent his effort over the bar.

The Marketmen continued to push on and a good run and cross by Adam Mills produced another corner, which saw the home defence clearing a Luke Ingram header. Adam Mills was involved shortly afterwards when he had finished of a move with a shot that unfortunately went over the bar.

Herne Bay, to their credit, kept on plugging away searching for ways to get the equaliser, but were unable to muster up any real clear cut chances in the final minutes of the game.

The match reached its conclusion, so it will be with the Marketmen in the hat for Monday's draw, hoping for at least a home tie, something they have not had in all cup competitions this season.

The job was done in the end, probably a bit more harder than most thought it would be. I'm sure lessons will be gathered and explored from this, as is the case from most games. However in this sport of football, it's the facts that counts rather than the overall team performance. The facts of this game are, of course, the Marketmen won and progress, also 4K in prize money came into our bank account.

Full Time: Herne Bay 0 vs Needham Market 1

Herne Bay: Simon Overland, Simon Kabamba, Alex Mulrooney-Skinner, Danny Rumbol, Matt Fry, Miles Cornwell, Bradley Schafer, Tom Carlton, Jake Embery, Danny Leonard, Kyron Lightfoot (Tom Barton 67)
Subs not used: Leshawn Clifford-Awoyemi, Jamie Chamberlain, Michael-Frazer Osunkoya, Jordan Beeney.

Needham Market: Jake Jessup, Joseph Marsden, Callum Sturgess, Samuel Squire, Keiran Morphew, Daniel Morphew, Jeremiah Kamanzi, Gareth Heath, James Baker (Reece Dobson 69), Luke Ingram, Adam Mills
Subs not used: Tariq Issa, Jake Dye, Ethan Abrahams, Finlay Shorten.

Get the team together and play Fantasy League

Key moments

Goal Reece Dobson scores for NEEDHAM MARKET FOOTBALL CLUB


View 0 new events
71:00 Goal 0 - 1
69:00 Sub On
Reece Dobson is substituted on for NEEDHAM MARKET FOOTBALL CLUB
69:00 Sub Off
Jeremiah Kamanzi is substituted off for NEEDHAM MARKET FOOTBALL CLUB
Start of the game
Replay game

As it happened

  • Herne Bay
  • 0
  • Reece Dobson Sub On 69:00'
  • Jeremiah Kamanzi Sub Off 69:00'
  • Reece Dobson Goal 71:00'

Team selection


Loading comments

Team sponsors


Club sponsors