25.10.2016 at 19:45 Attendance: 207
Canvey Island
2 - 2
Referee: Anthony Pope Ryman Premier League-match

Joey May (62)
Harrison Chatting (74)
John Sands (7)
Danny Gay (90)
Opening squads
Lewis Moore
Jake Pitty
Ashley Dumas
Joey May
Ryan O Rawe
Jack Lampe
Omarr Lawson
Tambeson Eyong
George Sykes
Tayshan Hayden-Smith
Harrison Chatting
Danny Gay
Jake Dye
Ian Miller
Joe Whight
Sam Nunn
Reece Dobson
Billy Holland
Kem Izzet
Jack Curtis
Luke Ingram
John Sands
Harry Morgan
Martin Tuohy
Elliott Warren
Rob Lacey
Nathan Munson
Ollie Snaith
Callum Harrison
Ollie Fenn
Manny Osei
Martin Tuohy - George Sykes (81)
Harry Morgan - Joey May (86)
Callum Harrison -> Jack Curtis (68)
Manny Osei -> John Sands (78)
Ollie Fenn -> Sam Nunn (81)
Yellow cards
Tayshan Hayden-Smith Sam Nunn
Luke Ingram
Red cards
None None.
Match report
The Marketmen travelled to Canvey Island looking to continue their rich vein of form and knowing that a league point would see them go top of the table, albeit for 24 hours at least.

The guests began on the front foot and had several opportunities in the opening period. First, Reece Dobson headed wide on 3 minutes before a good cross from Needham captain Kemal Izzet found John Sands. However his header failed to test goalkeeper Lewis Moore.

Just minutes after these attempts Dobson then saw his shot hit the post as the away sides frustration was evident.

They were not to be denied for much longer as on 7 minutes Sands notched his sixth goal in seven appearances. A smart turn from the once Canvey striker before he cooly slotted into the bottom corner from outside of the penalty area.

On 16 minutes, Dobsons run found Colchester loanee Jack Curtis but his shot was narrowly wide as Needham went in search of a second goal.

The Islanders registered their first attacking move with 23 minutes played. To the relief of the Needham defence, Harrison Chattings first time shot flashed wide of the post.

Canveys George Sykes saw his strike well blocked before the visitors should have doubled their advantage. Luke Ingrams flick on found Curtis who connected well with his shot but was superbly denied by the sprawling arm of Moore.

Half Time: Canvey Island 0-1 Needham Market

The game was turned on its head just after the hour mark. Sykes surged through on goal and drew a foul from San Nunn in the penalty area. Joey May stepped up from 12 yards and his initial shot was well saved by Danny Gay, but he was helpless with the rebound as May dinked the ball into the top corner to equalise.

With the absence of Manager Mark Morsley, Richard Wilkins made his first change when Callum Harrison marked his second loan spell with a substitute appearance as he replaced the lively Jack Curtis.

The momentum of the game changed after the penalty incident and The Gulls took the lead through Harrison Chatting on 74 minutes. Tayshan Hayden Smith continued to cause problems for Needham and his through ball found Jake Pitty on the right hand side. Pittys low cross found an unmarked Chatting who made no mistake in scoring.

This topsy turvy match was to have one late twist deep into injury time. With a corner awarded in the 94th minute, 11 Needham players crowded the 18 yard box and Danny Gay, The Marketmens goalkeeper scored to earn his side a dramatic point. A goal which sparked jubilant celebrations as that vital point sent the Suffolk side to the peak of the Ryman Premier Table for the very first time.

Full Time: Canvey Island 2-2 Needham Market

Thurlow Nunn League MembersThurlow Nunn

Ryman League MembersRyman