21.01.2017 at 15:00 Attendance: 850
Havant & Waterlooville
1 - 3
Referee: Paul Johnson Ryman Premier League-match

Matt Patterson (87) Reece Dobson (5)
Luke Ingram (18)
Callum Harrison (40)
Opening squads
Ryan Young
Lee Molyneaux
Rory Williams
Brian Stock
Ryan Woodford
Ed Harris
Mike Carter
Theo Lewis
Jason Prior
Alfie Rutherford
Bradley Tarbuck
Danny Gay
Keiran Morphew
Jake Dye
Darryl Coakley
Joe Whight
Luke Ingram
Billy Holland
Reece Dobson
Callum Harrison
Kem Izzet
Jack Simmons
Matt Patterson
George Barker
James Hayter
Harry Bedford
Marley Ridge
Nathan Munson
Dan Knight
Ollie Fenn
Taylor Bannister
Matt Patterson - Mike Carter (45)
James Hayter - Alfie Rutherford (78)
Ollie Fenn -> Jack Simmons (74)
Yellow cards
Rory Williams
Theo Lewis
Ryan Woodford
Keiran Morphew
Reece Dobson
Red cards
Lee Bradbury (Manager) None.
Match report
To the relief of the Needham team and supporters, the game went ahead, having been in doubt when they arrived following a three and a half hour journey. Playing in their new change strip, Needham made two enforced changes from the team that performed well at Bognor, with both regular centre-backs ruled out - Sam Nunn through injury and Ian Miller due to illness. Keiran Morphew and Joe Whight filled the centre-back spots, with Darryl Coakley at left-back and Callum Harrison coming into midfield for the final game of his loan spell from Colchester United.

The home side had the first opportunity when the usually prolific Jason Prior headed wide in the 3rd minute. 2 minutes later Needham took the lead when Reece Dobson burst into the penalty area. He was surrounded by home defenders, but somehow managed to wriggle through their tackles and put the ball into the top corner.

Havant were having most of the play but Needham looked dangerous on the break. Rutherford missed a chance for the Hawks then a low cross flew across the Needham goalmouth with no-one able to produce the final touch. At the other end Dobson beat the offside trap but his shot was deflected for a corner, then Keiran Morphew shot over the bar.

Needham doubled their lead after 18 minutes when Jack Simmons broke down the left wing and provided a hard, low cross which Luke Ingram met first time to easily beat Young in the home goal. Joe Whight was penalised for hand-ball and the resultant free kick was headed over the bar for a corner which came to nothing.

Prior then had another free header but again put it wide of the post, before Danny Gay was forced to make a fine close-range save. Needham increased their lead on 40 minutes when the increasingly shaky home defence allowed Dobson another run on goal and, although his shot was parried by Young, the ball fell to Callum Harrison who made no mistake from 12 yards.

In the final minute of the half, Prior had yet another header on goal but this was saved by Gay at his near post.


Havant manager Lee Bradbury made a positive change at half-time with striker Matt Patterson replacing debutant midfielder Mike Carter.

The home side dominated possession in the early stages of the half and Danny Gay was forced to concede a corner in the 47th minute. 10 minutes later the home sides frustration came to a head when Manager Bradbury inexplicably came onto the pitch to confront Kem Izzet, presumably accusing him of time-wasting after a free-kick had been awarded. The referee had no hesitation in sending Bradbury to the stand, which resulted in him trudging disconsolately across the pitch.

Havant continued to dominate and Gay made a number of good saves but the defence stood firm without any real indication that Havant would claw back the 3 goal deficit. Needham did have the occasional beakaway and Dobson shot wide in the 68th minute.

Ollie Fenn replaced Jack Simmons after 73 minutes to bolster the midfield, but Needham were grateful to Gay in the 80th minute when he brilliantly tipped a long-range shot over the bar.

Just when it looked as if Havants efforts would come to nothing, Patterson crashed a low drive into the bottom corner after 87 minutes, giving Gay no chance.

With 4 minutes added time signalled, there were some concerns amongst the 20 or so Needham faithful that another goal would spur on the home side, but the visitors held on comfortably for a fine victory.


Following the good display at Bognor which brought no points, this was another excellent away performance from The Marketmen, deservedly collecting the 3 points despite the home sides pressure. They were a constant threat on the break and defended resolutely throughout.

Thurlow Nunn League MembersThurlow Nunn

Ryman League MembersRyman