22.10.2016 at 15:00 Attendance: 366
Burgess Hill Town
0 - 3
Referee: Lee Brennan Ryman Premier League-match

None Reece Dobson (17)
John Sands (34)
Reece Dobson (70)
Opening squads
Max Huxter
Joey Taylor
Leon Redwood
Jack Brivio
Cheick Toure
Sam Fisk
Dean Cox
Okwute Izuchukwu
Jonah Ayunga
Chris Smith
Pat Harding
Danny Gay
Ian Miller
Joe Whight
Sam Nunn
Jake Dye
Reece Dobson
Billy Holland
Kem Izzet
Jack Curtis
Luke Ingram
John Sands
Will Miles
Guy Bolton
Toby Pointing
Josh James
Tyrell Richardson Brown
Nathan Munson
Ollie Fenn
Ollie Snaith
Manny Osei
Max Booth
Toby Pointing - Joey Taylor (10)
Will Miles - Toby Pointing (60)
Tyrell Richardson Brown - Chris Smith (68)
Ollie Fenn -> Jack Curtis (68)
Manny Osei -> John Sands (73)
Ollie Snaith -> Kem Izzet (79)
Yellow cards
Toby Pointing
Jack Brivio
Danny Gay
Red cards
Jack Brivio None.
Match report
Needham travelled to Sussex looking for their first ever victory over Burgess Hill Town.

There were two changes to the starting line up from the previous league game against Worthing, with Sam Nunn and Jack Curtis replacing Darryl Coakley and Manny Osei.

Burgess Hill started strongly and there was a major scare for Needham in the 7th minute when a mistake left Chris Smith clear on goal. Danny Gay rushed out of his area and brought down Smith. Much to the relief of the travelling supporters, the referee decided that a yellow card was sufficient punishment. Dean Cox sent the resulting free kick towards the bottom corner, but Gay got down well to his left to save.

The home side had to make an early change when the injured Joey Taylor was replaced by Toby Pointing.

Needham took the lead with their first meaningful attack in the 17th minute. A good move found John Sands on the edge of the area and he unselfishly fed the ball to Reece Dobson who fired into the bottom corner. Five minutes later Dobson put in a dangerous cross which was headed away by Sam Fisk. A good move by the home side then saw Smith shoot just over the bar. Burgess Hill continued to press and Jake Dye had to head a dangerous cross behind for a corner.

Needham doubled their lead after 33 minutes. Dobson made a great run down the left wing and when Huxter could only push away his strong shot, John Sands was on hand to knock in the rebound, before celebrating in front of the away fans behind the goal.

In the 37th minute Cox fired in a long range shot which was deflected away for a corner. Although Burgess Hill had seen plenty of possession, it was Needham who finished the half on top. Firstly, a clever lobbed pass from Billy Holland saw Jack Curtis volley well saved by the keeper. Jake Dye shot straight at Huxter then Sands fired over the bar after being set up by Luke Ingram. The final action of the half saw Huxter fail to hold Jack Curtis shot, but John Sands was unable to force home the rebound.


Burgess Hill started the second half strongly, with Jack Brivio heading narrowly wide, then hitting the post with another header. Joe Whight had to clear another effort from under the bar and Chiek Toure then headed wide from a corner. Needham weathered the early pressure and Toby Pointing was booked for the home side for a series of fouls. Pointing, who was a first half substitute, was then substituted himself, being replaced by Will Miles.

In the 62nd minute Danny Gay had to make a fine low save from a powerful shot by Pat Harding. Brivio was then booked before Burgess Hill made their final substitution, with Tyrell Richardson Brown replacing Chris Smith. For Needham, Jack Curtis was replaced by Ollie Fenn.

In the 70th minute, Needham made the game safe with Dobsons second goal. Kem Izzet found Dobson on the edge of the box and he cut inside the defender before firing into the far corner.

Manny Osei replaced John Sands before Luke Ingram shot narrowly wide. Joe Whight then shot narrowly over the bar before Kem Izzet was replaced by Ollie Snaith, making his league debut for Needham.

In the 84th minute, Jack Brivio made a late challenge on Manny Osei and the referee had little option other than to show Brivio a second yellow card. With their numerical advantage Needham comfortably saw out the 4 minutes of added time.


An excellent away performance from the Marketmen, with a solid defensive display seeing off the home sides bright start in each half, followed by some incisive counter attacking and clinical finishing. Man of the Match was Reece Dobson, who was a constant threat, resulting in two goals and one assist.

Needham are now level on points with league leaders Leiston. Another away trip on Tuesday, to Canvey Island, followed by the FA Trophy game at home to Wroxham next Saturday.

Thurlow Nunn League MembersThurlow Nunn

Ryman League MembersRyman