Club app icon

Pitchero Club



U18 YOUTH TEAM - Match center

Thu 13 Sep 19:45 - Cup Full time

Young Marketmen Put Five Past Coplestonians


Four First Half Goals, followed by a late fifth, saw Needham progress in the Cup

Needham Market Under-18s saw off their Coplestonians counterparts, after coming from a goal down to run out 5-1 winners, to progress to round two of the Suffolk FA Under-18 Midweek Cup.

The visitors though, went ahead on 7 minutes, with a corner on the right being headed into the top far corner to open the scoring. Albeit offside, Needham responded three minutes later, with a shot from the left side in the box going wide of the near post. Coplestonians then went down the other end, with 11 minutes gone, with No.10 slotted through the defence. He then advanced into the box, only for the keeper to come off his line and dive down to block, the shot, with his feet for a corner, on the right.

Three minutes later, Needham's cross in from the left was sent towards the far post, where it was headed back across goal, where the keeper gathered, ahead of the Needham man running in. The hosts then pulled level 15 minutes into the match, as the Young Marketmen found the right corner.

A minute later, Needham's No9 fired just wide of the left post from outside the box, followed by a second goal in as many minutes for Needham. Needham's No.10 was slotted through the away defence, as the keeper came off his line but commited to esrly, allowing the Needham man to find the bottom right corner with ease. With just under 20 minutes gone, Coplestonians' No.7 went for goal from the right edge of the box, but after chesting the ball down his low shot was straight at the keeper at his near post, as the visitors fired a 30-yard effort wide of the top right corner a minute later. On 23 minutes, Needham had a shot, from the edge of the box, deflected behind for a corner, on the left, which fell to the edge of the area but was fired over the top far corner, just a minute later.

Needham's No.7 then picked out No.9 outside the box, whose shot at the near post was saved by the away keeper, with a third home goal soon following, within a minute on 27 minutes. The cross in from the right was swung in towards the far post, and was flicked into the bottom far corner to make it 3-1 to the young Marketmen. On the half-an-hour mark, Neddham's No.7 was fed through on the right side of the box, but the shot seemed to be saved by the keeper before hitting the far post, and somehow staying out off the net. The visitors never let up though, as their 30-yard strike was blocked on 31 minutes. That was followed, sixty seconds later, by the away side's No3's cross from the left finding No16 at the far post. However, the substitute could only stretch out his foot to get a touch to send the ball wide. Seconds later, the same man found himself in possession outside the Needham box, but shot wide of the bottom left corner.

Coplestonians then had a decent opportunity on 37 minutes, as their No.10 dispossessed Needham's No6 on the left, before running to the nesr post inside the area, but the keeper came out to smother as he kept hold of the ball. Needham went on the counter, but their No.10's shot was straight forward for the away keeper. Two minutes before the break, Needham had a fourth goal, as a ball downfield to No.7 on the right forced the keeper to come out off his box to clear.

However, the stopper had a moment to forget, kicking thin air leaving the Needham man to get past him and get on the end of the ball, to find the unguarded bottom left corner. That was the final meaningful first half action, as Needham went into the break 4-1 ahead.

Half Time: Needham Market Under-18s 4-1 Coplestonians Under-18s

On 48 minutes Needham forced the keeper to dive down, to his left in order, to palm wide a shot from outside the box. Four minutes later, Coplestonians fired a shot from the left, wide of the far post. With 10 second half minutes played, Needham won a freekick on the edge of the box, but curled the kick wide of the top left corner, with the hosts determined to grab a fifth goal. The Marketmen then won the ball back seconds later, with Neddham's No10 through on the left, beat the goalkeeper but not the sliding defender, who put the shot out for a corner, at his near post. That piece of defensive brilliance, kept the away side's morale high, as a Coplestonians' shot from the edge of the box was fired straight at the keeper on 57 minutes.

Two minutes later, the visiting No.10 was found through inside the box, but wasn't expecting the keeper to stand firm to beat the shot away. Then on 61 minutes, the visitors won a freekick on the right edge of the box. The set-piece was deflected though, by the wall, for a corner on the far side. Needham then had a shot blocked, on 63 minutes, before Coplestonians fired off target a minute later, followed by another Needham chance. With 23 second half minutes remaining, Needham fed a teammate through on the right in the box, but saw the shot put behind by the onrushing keeper for a corner. The away side then had another long range shot at goal, but the low effort was easy for the keeper, on 68 minutes. The flag was up, 5 minutes later, with a Needham man getting on the end of a ball in, on the right inside the box, but the offside man could only hit the post. Coplestonians then went close a minute after, as a shot from the left edge of the box, dipped just over the top far corner.

The Young Marketmen almost had a fifth on 76 minutes, with No7 through on the left-hand side of the box, before chipping the ball over the keeper and into the net, only for the linesman’s flag to already be up, for offside. Needham’s No7 then had another chance, a minute later, to add to his side’s tally, with the youngster being fed on the left, he then cut into the box but shot straight at the keeper. On 78 minutes, the Reds went close again, as a well hit shot, from the edge of the penalty area, was deflected just wide of the right post, for a corner. Needham accelerated late on, and kept the pressure up with ten minutes to go. A home cross into the box, on the left, found a player arriving at the far post whose shot just rebound off the keeper, and close enough to the stopper to gather the loose ball. Coplestonians’ No4 then had a speculative effort, from distance, at goal, but the shot was easy for the home goalkeeper.

The Marketmen rounded off the scoring, on 85 minutes, with Needham’s No14 being found in the box, the keeper came rushing off his line but committed too earlier. Leaving, the home substitute to easily chip the ball over the floored keeper, and into the bottom right corner, for 5-1.
A minute later, Needham almost had sixth goal, with No12 through on the right edge of the box, but saw his effort well saved by the keeper, who was off his line to narrow down the angle. The hosts weren’t done yet, as their shot from the left edge of the box forced the Coplestonian goalie to palm the ball behind his near post, for a corner as the match headed into stoppage time.

To conclude a fairly closely fought game, not really reflected by the scoreline, Needham’s No8 had a shot blocked from outside the box- a minute into added time, followed by the final opportunity of the game two minutes later, as Needham crossed low into the box from the right, but No.7 at the near post could only put it wide at the near post. The referee then blew his whistle to indicate a 5-1 Marketmen victory, and go through the the second round of the Suffolk FA Under-18 Midweek Cup

Full Time: Needham Market Under-18s 5-1 Coplestonians Under-18s

Get the team together and play Fantasy League

Team selection

Team selection has not been published for this fixture yet.


Loading comments


Club sponsors